10

"You know I noticed most people will leave you alone if you scream at them?" Aito said softly as he and Ren played tik tak toe in the dusty dirt while Zuko was cleaning up the outside of the pub but still could watch his kids.

"When did you scream at someone?" Ren asked as he saw aito place the final move and won this game.

"At pops friend with the funny looking pony tail, he was asking about papa so I screamed, he screamed back though then went for that red head," aito smiled innocently.

"But it worked?"

"It worked,"

"Wow I gotta try that," Ren nodded as aito giggled.

"At the ponytail guy?" Aito asked.

"He probably doesn't know which one of us is which," Ren cackled.

"Should I say I'm you and you're me?" The blue eye twin smiled excitedly.

"Yes!" Ren punched the air and the boys high fived laughing.

"What are you two doing?" Toph and Katara walked over to them confused.

"Nothing just Playing," aito shrugged.

"You're a good liar," Toph snorted a little impressed.

"Thank you," he giggled.

"So what were you really doing?" Katara asked them kindly as she knelt down to the boys. She didn't dare look at aito, he had her eyes and it hurt to see the water tribes blood run through them both.

"Talking, old man was telling us about camping and we get to go see grandpa," aito said bluntly and Ren nodded.

"Iroh knows about you?" Toph asked surprised a little.

"Yea? We're not allowed to meet papas evil side of the family," aito explained.

Katara could feel eyes on her as Zuko watched the four interact. She stepped back as Toph was sitting with the four year olds. Zuko didn't interfere but he stayed close.

"Do you know how to play tik tak toe miss?" Ren asked with a smile.

"I do, I would play in the snow with my brother too, but I always won," Katara knelt down to them and drew a tik tak toe board, starting on the corner.

"You really lived in the snow? It was always cold?" Aito asked curiously.

"Yea," Katara didn't look at him.

"Did you have big blizzards?! Did your house fly away?" Ren jumped in curious. "We never seen snow,"

"The biggest of blizzards, but I'm a water bender so no snow can hurt me," she chuckled at his excitement.

Aito tilted his head to the side noticing her ignoring him. He crossed his arms pouting a little and went over to his father as ren chatted it up with the two women.

"You done playing?" Zuko was picking the weeds around the edge of the building.

"I wanna help," aito picked a weed and threw it in the wicker basket where the other weeds were.

"That's a first, everything okay?" Zuko asked crouching down to him.

"Everyone likes ren more," he pouted and kicked a bush.

Zuko looked back at the others and noticed Kataras back was to them, he sighed and rubbed the top of the kids head.

"There's no favorites, why don't you go back and play, your brother likes you the most I'm sure," he smiled gentle and aito shook his head.

"Ok fine you can help, go get your gloves though I don't want you getting hurt," Zuko caved and aito nodded going inside to get his gardening gloves.

"Ren I need help with the weeds before we leave, can you get your gloves please?" He turned over to his other twin.

"Hell yea more dirt!" Ren jumped up and sprinted inside.

"Language!" Zuko called and heard a fainted 'sorry' from inside the pub.

"What's the deal sparky?" Toph stood up crossing her arms.

"It's just chores," he didn't look amused.

"And also if you're going to be around the twins maybe don't exclude one," zuko looked at Katara and she rolled her eyes.

"I'm not even talking to them," she crossed her arms over her chest.

"I'm just saying," he put his hands up.

"The tension is rising more in the silence," toph whistled.

"Just leave the kids alone," Zuko warned Katara specifically and she glared.

"I'm not looking to be-" Katara paused before she spilt to much.

"She's not looking to be their mother," Toph spoke up and they all went quiet.

"I knew the whole time it's so obvious," she waved them off.

"No it's not that, if they ever find out you were their mother they're going to look back on every memory they have of you, good and bad, I don't want them to think about why you were here and didn't take them back and more importantly, why you only paid attention to the one that doesn't look like you," Zuko hissed crossing his arms and both girls were surprised.

"If they're coming with then I can't exactly ignore them?" Katara looked at him gently but his eyes were cold.

He inhaled deeply pinching the bridge of his nose and covered his mouth to mumble something under his breath.

"I understand that you'll make conversation with them but I'm not comfortable you being around them without me there, just stay away from them," Zuko said after a moment of silence.

"What do you think is going to happened? They'll split up cause one likes mother dearest more?" Toph snorted but neither of them found it funny.

"I don't exactly want to form a loving parent bond with them, don't worry I won't be getting attached to your kids," Katara crossed her arms but noticed the boys peaking out the door now curious.

Zuko glanced over his shoulder feeling eyes on them.

"When are we leaving?" He asked.

"Tonight, Sokka sent a hawk to my dad and the white lotus that we got everyone back, your having iroh watch the boys?" Katara gulped a little.

"White lotus they'll be the safest with, I can't leave them here in case things go wrong," Zuko pursed his lips.

"You think somethings going to go wrong?" She asked frowning.

"Azula and Ozai are vicious, it wouldn't be out of the question," he told her flatly.

"And probably stronger and crazier now," Toph agreed.

"You're the reason we're all here," Zuko glared over at her.

"And now we have communication again, how nice," she gasped sarcastically.

"Daaaaaad!" Ren called as aito stood behind with his head down, holding his twins hand.

"What's up?" Zuko turned to them.

"I broke a cup and hurt myself," aito had tears in his eyes. Katara and Toph immediately ran over worried for the toddler as Zuko was checking his wound. Ren showed their father aito's other hand where there was a cut.

"I'm sorry papa," aito tried to not cry, sniffling and hiccuping to keep his tears from falling.

"Hey it's just a cup, it's okay, let's get this cleaned up," Zuko picked up both of the twins in each arm as they went inside, he closed the door before Toph and Katara followed. 

"That kid just can't catch a break," Toph shook her head.