𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 20

"Hey Lisa, have you picked up my clothes already?" I ask kindly as we casually stroll towards my office. She raises a quick eyebrow after I ask her my question.

"What is it?" I ask, placing my hands into my pockets as we inch closer towards my office door.

"Nothing, it's just that you always either call me Ms. Manoban or Manoban, so to be honest with you, Ms. Y/l/n, it's a first," she said, giving me a partial toothy grin before it falters with a straight face once more as I twist the doorknob, opening my office door.

"I guess I'm changing just a little bit. Not one ounce of venom, vile, or the smallest amount of annoyance. I guess I'm just having a good day, is all," I say, rubbing the back of my neck, just smiling down and looking at the floor as a smile spreads across my face for no reason and for the first time in a while.

"You seem happy, boss. I'm glad you are. It's nice to see you less tense," she says, taking off her glasses, smiling down at me as I take a seat in my leather chair.

"Thank you, Manoban. Now, about my suit?" I ask, making her lightly chuckle.

"It's been promptly tucked into your office closet, Ms. Y/l/n," Lisa says as I simply lay back and place my hands behind my head. I feel my phone vibrate, checking the caller ID to see that it was my Uncle Frankie who was calling me, causing me to raise an eyebrow before picking up the phone.

"Hello?" I ask, picking up the phone before mouthing for Lisa to give me a moment in private. She nods and simply walks out of my office, shutting the door as my uncle proceeds to talk to me.

"Y/n, you there?" My uncle asked as I simply hummed in response before paying attention back towards him.

"Yeah, hey Uncle Frank, how are you?" I ask, looking out my window for a quick moment.

"U-Um, not so good," he stuttered, causing me to worry a bit.

"What's wrong, Uncle? Talk to me," I asked, sounding a bit worried, as his voice lowered to a soft whisper, causing me to frown and worry even more that he may be in some sort of trouble.

"Y/n, what I am about to tell you has to stay between us, do you understand?" He says, speaking nearly below a whisper in a serious tone as I swallow a lump in my throat.

"Yeah, I understand. What happened?" I ask, looking around my office.

"H-He's back, Y/n. He just escaped," he said, still sounding rather shocked as I just became even more confused as to who he was talking about.

"Who's back, Uncle?!" I asked, a hint of worry blaring throughout my voice.

"The S-Surgeon. He just escaped from prison. He's officially on the loose," he said, nearly causing me to drop my phone as I felt my face become even more pale. The man who nearly took my mother from me when I was only sixteen years old and became a detective at long last... I thought he was gonna die once they finally threw his psycho ass into that cell for good.

"D-Does my ma know about this, Frankie?" I asked, becoming a total nervous wreck as I attempted to keep a straight face but miserably failed, and my uncle just remained silent.

"DOES SHE KNOW?!" I asked aloud, slamming my fist onto my desk as my office fell silent.

"I think it's best that she doesn't, Y/n," he says solemnly, causing anger to slowly boil within me.

"My mother, of all people, does not know that the first man who's ever and almost did try to kill her is out on the damn loose and nobody told her?!" I ask as I felt myself becoming even more angry as my uncle kept trying to calm me down.