Both men shift uncomfortably, sharing a look that speaks more volume than words ever could.

"About half a days walk away from the South entrance, your majesty," Ravior says gravely.

"Half a day?" I ask incredulously. "On foot? Our enemies lie a breath away, and you didn't think to start with that?"

Since when is your brother considered an enemy? My wolf asks coolly.

Since he decided to lead them.

I run both hands through my hair, exhaustion tugging at me from all angles. The last 24 hours have been a rollercoaster of too many events, and my mate is asleep in my room, drugged up on something that nobody can figure out. I'm so worn out that my face is probably leeching in its colour.

"I want patrols doubled at every entrance," I command, calling on the king they need in this moment. "The gates are not to be opened for anything unless I personally oversee the reason for it. Night shifts need to be tripled in men. Understood?"

Ravior, being captain of most of my troups, nods, bowing low before rushing to complete my demands.

"Tell Thomas I want a meeting with the Sun king," I say to Levi. "I'm willing to meet as soon as possible, and I would prefer it if the conversation happened in his kingdom."

Levi nods. "Consider it done."

A knock on my office door sounds the minute after Levi exits. Loud and insistent.

I open it to find Penny standing there, her cheeks flushed and breathing laboured.

"Your majesty, please excuse my interruption," she says breathlessly. "The drug that Inara was given is very strange, so I worked almost all night researching and testing, and the results are not good."

She pauses to catch her breath, and I can't help the impatience that burns inside me.

"What is it, Penny?" I ask.

"I'm so sorry, your majesty! I really thought it would wear off on its own, but then I started digging and I-"

"Penny!" I interrupt, grabbing her out of her thoughts. "What is it?"

"It's a Sun poison, and by the results I procured, it doesn't look like a very harmless one."

Icy fear fills my head, shooting down my spine and all but paralyzing me.

"What do you mean?" I ask, panic practically dripping from my voice.

"I mean that this poison is a burning drug. It basically lights someone on fire from the inside out."

No, my wolf says in horror.

I shake my head, confusion warring with fear. "But Inara never said she was hurting. And she threw most of it up."

Penny squeezes her eyes shut before opening them again and starting to pace, her hands wringing in front of her.

"That's how it starts," she says, her words rushed. "A loopy and unnatural mind is first, and then nausea and stomach compulsions, and then the drug works deeper, latching onto organs and muscles, bones and tissues. Anything it can reach, and then it starts to feed."

Dread floods my body like a tidal wave, and I don't think about anything except getting to Inara until my hand is brushing across my door. It swings open, and I rush to my bed, finding Inara exactly where I left her.

She isn't in a peaceful slumber like how I left her, though. She's curled in on herself, groaning softly as she grips her middle.

I rush to her side, brushing my fingers across her forehead and immediately snatching my hand back. She's scorching hot.