(12)

The three of you crested a small hill, the luscious grass transitioning into a bridge made of tan stones. Rapunzel hopped along in front of you, jumping with excitement as she peered at the pinnacle of Corona, houses practically stacked on top of each other and covering almost the entirety of a small dome-shaped island. At the island's apex was a huge castle with white stone and blue roofs spanning tower after tower. Several people passed, coming to and from the bustling city.

As Rapunzel looked around with wide eyes, Eugene noticed another flyer with his face on it nailed to a railing. He quickly crumpled it up and stuffed it in Maximus' mouth before anyone could identify him. The horse spit it out over the edge of the bridge, glaring at the man. While you hadn't seen what was on the parchment, Eugene's actions did arouse suspicion.

"What was that?" You asked, crossing your arms.

Flynn shrugged. "What was what?"

"The- the thing you just did. With the paper." You eyed him as he avoided eye contact.

"I don't see any paper. Do you, Max?" The horse's eyes narrowed at him. Eugene casually slung an arm around your waist, guiding you across the bridge and into the city.

You scoffed, "you are unbelievable, Eugene." You increased your pace, leaving the side of the brunette in order to catch up with your sister, who was weaving between people. She stopped in the middle of the street to take in the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.

People.

Having been shut in that tower her entire life, she had only seen you and your mother. Eugene had entered the picture recently, but that was nothing compared to this. Every type of person was at her fingertips; teenagers, children, adults, the elderly, couples, families, and more all interacting with each other. People were pushing carts, carrying boxes and buckets of goods, there were shops lining the street, vendors calling out new sales and deals correlating to the lantern festival. Somewhere in the distance, you could even hear a band playing a lively tune, but it was a faint whisper covered in the chatter.

Speaking of the festival- the street was decorated with hundreds of the same sun insignia. It was on banners, pennants, garlands, you name it. Flowers were blooming everywhere, the petals corresponding the purple and yellow fabric. The sun created a nice warmth in the air, but a cool breeze from the nearby shore still disrupted the heat every few minutes.

Ready to dive into the festivities, Rapunzel dashed ahead, but bumped into person after person, apologizing profusely. It seemed that she was always in someone's way, no matter where she stepped. She was pulled back as townspeople stepped on her hair, which trailed all the way back to the bridge you had entered from. You scooped up her hair as fast as you could, Eugene doing the same and catching up with you.

The three of you stood there, unsure of what to do. As you glanced around, you spotted several redheaded sisters, all giggling and braiding each others' hair speedily. With a sharp whistle, they looked in your direction curiously. You held out your arms, showing them the feet upon feet of silky blonde hair, and they gasped, their eyes lighting up with excitement.

Your sister sat patiently as the little girls bobbed and weaved. They played around, but were very efficient in organizing all of her hair. You, Eugene, and Maximus were waiting off to the side, leaning against a wall. You were resting your hand on the hilt of your sword, a soft smile on your face as you watched your sister. A part of you felt bad- you had been able to come to this festival alone since you were six, and here was your sister- experiencing people for the first time at the age of eighteen. What hadn't I taken her sooner? You thought.

You were pulled out of your thoughts as a calloused hand pulled you to the ground. Eugene twisted you as he pulled your arm so that your back was against his chest. He put his hand over your mouth, and your ears zeroed in on a peculiar sound, curious as to why you were hiding all of a sudden.

On the other side of the wall, the clanking of metal could be heard. Not heavy, like chains, but the rhythmic scraping of metal plates, almost like- armor. Your eyes narrowed. Royal guards. We're hiding from royal guards.

You drove your elbow backward, and Eugene let out grunt of pain. You quickly regained your footing and gripped the hilt of your sword with white knuckles. "Care to tell me why you were hiding from royal guards?" You gritted out, trying to maintain your anger in such a public place.

"You got me," Eugene joked, brushing himself off as he stood up. "I'm a criminal!" He chuckled, slinging his arm over your shoulder. You stepped out of his grasp. "Come on now, Y/n, you can't really think that of me."

"Quite honestly, Eugene, I'm not sure what to think of you."

"Thank you so much, I love it!" You heard your sister say. You turned to see her hair fully braided and decorated with colorful flowers. She spun, loving the freedom. Your gaze melted, forgetting about your spat with Eugene as your big sister side took over.

You walked over to her and tucked in a flower that was a little loose. "You look gorgeous."

"Really?" She said shyly.

You hummed in confirmation.

She squealed and yanked you into the town. "Great! Now, let's go!"

---

The three of you bounced from booth to booth as Rapunzel explored every type of clothing, food, and trinket available. While she would dash away to the next exciting thing, you would hang back for a split second, hastily paying the vendor before heading after her.

You stood with Eugene, waiting in line to buy a small souvenir for your sister, when Rapunzel was drawn in. She moved from where she stood behind you, entranced by the huge mosaic to her left. It was of the royal family- the king, the queen, and their only child, a baby girl with long blonde hair and bright green eyes.

Several vases of various flowers had been left at its base, and a small family sat there as Rapunzel approached. A young mother held a baby while a small child sat in front of them. She placed a flower down and told her sister, "It's for the lost princess." Rapunzel looked back to the mural, puzzled at how familiar something seemed. The young princess stared back at her, her stony gaze grazing something in the back of Rapunzel's mind.

A small band passed, their lively music distracting her. She followed after them, and as you and Eugene left the stand, you turned to find her dancing in the middle of the square. She was overflowing with joy, slowly pulling people in with her. A boy here, a young couple there, until a huge dance group had formed.

You and Eugene stood off to the side, and you put the small flag into Max's saddle bag along with most of your weapons, save for a couple small daggers. It was unlikely someone would try to attack your sister in broad daylight on one of the busiest days of the year, but you could never be too sure. You turned, and shook your head in disbelief at the sight of your sister dancing with all these strangers.

Once, when she passed by, she waved you in in an attempt to get you to join, but you shook your head. Eugene chuckled, but he was abruptly interrupted when Max used his flank to shove the man into the fray. You felt his hand wrap around your wrist, but you tried to loosen his grip.

"Don't," you said, faking anger.

He looked at you cheekily and a laugh escaped your lips as he pulled you onto the dance floor.