(10)

Rapunzel began to fully realize the weight of her words and you began to push her shoulder in excitement as you realized too.

"I have magic hair that glows when I sing!" She restated, pulling on a long blonde strand. The water rushing into the cave began to speed up, and as you all angled your heads toward the ceiling, your sister hurriedly sang her incantation.

As the water rose higher, you took your last gasp of breath and plunged into the dark water. It was darker than black. Even with your eyes open, you couldn't see your sister or Eugene, let alone 3 inches in front of your face.

Out of the corner of your eye, a gold glimmer lit up the murky water. Starting from her roots, gold glimmered down the length of Rapunzel's hair. You made eye contact with Eugene as he let out a gasp, bubbles escaping his lips. He covered his mouth with his hand, careful to conserve the air in his lungs. You laughed, causing you to cough a little in surprise as water filled your mouth. Eugene grabbed you, worried, and patted your back. You gave him a thumbs up as you recovered, but your sister's hair caught your eye.

A few feet away, Rapunzel's hair was being sucked towards a wall of rocks. Where's that water going? You thought, grabbing Eugene's bicep. You pointed him towards the stones, and the both of you swam over and began to dig at the rocks desperately. They were rough and heavy, but you and Eugene were relentless, pushing them out of the way.

Two hands popped out of a mineshaft stuffed with rocks, water pouring out alongside them. You and Eugene both worked harder now that you each had a grasp on the outside world, on air. The wall eventually collapsed into the river below, taking the three of you along.

Rapunzel gasped for air as she surfaced, collapsing on the bank of a creek. "I made it," she sighed.

Eugene wasn't long after, pulling himself up with a grunt. He coughed, but quickly turned back towards the creek as he waited for you to surface. After a second or two, his stomach began to roll. Your dark clothes against the dark water meant he couldn't spot you beneath the water, and it was killing him.

"Grumpy?" He called, furrowing his brows.

No response.

"Grumpy!" He considered jumping back into the river.

Silence.

"Y/n, I swear, now is not the time to joke!" A hand popped out of the water next to him, searching. He pulled you onto the riverbank and patted your back as you coughed. He squatted next to you, and pushed a strand of hair behind your ear as he gently scolded you. "Don't scare me like that!" He said, laughing to lighten the mood. You and your sister laughed as well.

"Sorry," you said as he helped you to your feet, "leather armor doesn't make you super buoyant." You pointed to the dark leather pieces strapped all over you body, as well as the handful of weapons that survived the swim. You began to remove the harnesses to let them dry.

He pointed your sister and said, "her hair glows."

You tilted your head back as you laughed. You made eye contact with him, eyes twinkling. "I'm aware."

"We're alive!" Rapunzel cheered, running around.

"I- I didn't see that coming," he said, running his hand through his dark hair. "It actually glows."

You walked off, and he followed you, confused.

"Her hair really glows."

"Eugene," you stated.

"Why does her hair glow?" He asked himself, exasperated. He began to clutch his wounded hand.

"Eugene!" You turned around, placing a hand on him. His eyes snapped to you.