(9)

The three of you walked down a dark, dank tunnel. Old lanterns hung from the walls occasionally, giving the cave a warm glow. Skeletons also peppered the walls and floors, some dressed in decaying clothing and others with weapons still impaling them.

Flynn was in the middle, you and your sister on either side of him as he held a lantern out in an attempt to see further, which wasn't really possible in the pitch black tunnel. With an upbeat tone, he tried to make conversation. "I have to say, I didn't know you two had that in you back there. That was pretty impressive." Rapunzel grinned and you elbowed him jokingly. He returned it with a light push.

"I know!" Your sister said excitedly. She then calmed down, bringing her arms to her sides nonchalantly. "I know." He turned to look at you, eyebrows raised.

You just smirked at him and turned to look forward as he did the same. Letting out a sigh, you spoke, the smirk evident in your voice. "So, Flynn, where are you from?"

"Whoa! Sorry, grumpy, I don't do backstory. However, I am becoming very interested in yours. I know I'm not supposed to mention her hair," he said.

"Nope."

"Or the mother."

"Uh-uh."

"Frankly, I'm too scared to ask about the knives."

"Daggers."

"Nuance." He took a breath, "here's my question, though. If she wants to see the lanterns so badly, why haven't you taken her before?"

You cleared your throat, not expecting the question nor entirely sure how to answer. "Well," you began, but a small piece of rock fell from the ceiling, distracting you. The pebbles on the ground began to shake as the whole tunnel rumbled. The lanterns on the wall quivered as well, and your sister reached for you, coming to your side. "Um, Flynn?" you asked.

From the end of the tunnel where you had entered, you could see the flicker of a light coming around the bend. The group of royal guards rounded the corner, the captain holding a torch that burned brightly. Their boots pounded on the stone floor, and you gasped.

Rapunzel called, voice laced with worry and fear, "Flynn?"

"Rider!" The captain yelled angrily. Maximus also neighed in the background as the guards continued to race towards where the three of you were frozen.

"Run. Run!" Flynn grabbed your arm, pulling you down the hall. You grabbed what hair you could, as did Rapunzel, and took off down the tunnel, legs flying as you jumped over rocks towards the prick of light at the end.

As you flew out into the sunshine, the danger of your situation became more imminent. You were standing on a fairly small cliff in front of a dam, with nowhere to go. The three of you approached the beginning of the rope bridge to the other side, looking down to discover that it had been broken, and the end now dangled off the edge, swaying in the wind. Your eyes searched for another escape, lacking to find any sort of plan.

From another hole in the side of the rock face, a boarded up mine entrance was broken open, the Stabbington brothers emerging. "Who's that?" You asked.

"They don't like me." Flynn replied. The guards emerged from your tunnel, right on your heels.

"Who's that?" Your sister emphasized.

"They don't like me either," he said, a little more exasperated. Maximus broke through the group of guards, neighing fiercely.

"Who's that?" Rapunzel cried.

Flynn put one hand on each of your shoulders and looked at you. "Let's just assume for the moment that everyone in here doesn't like me."