Episode Nine

"this seems a little... unnecessary" Ana frowns, looking at the list in the girls locker room.

"nope, this is the way to end an important relationship" Lucy insists.

"we're going to see him every day at work" Ana points out.

"this is different" Lucy responds. "we're not going to be there with him"

"I just think that maybe we should treat it like a normal day, you know?" Ana suggests, softly.

Is Ana saying that because she'd really like to forget that she won't be riding with Tim every day? 

Yes, that's exactly why she's saying that.

"uh uh, we're going through this list" Lucy argues.

"what if Tim finds out about this list?" Ana asks, softly.

"well fuck him" Lucy shrugs.

Ana's frown deepens. "okay... if you're sure"

[Timeskip]

"You got yours on?" Tim asks, after making sure Ana has hers on.

"Yeah." Lucy nods.

"All right." Tim says, nodding and pulling out of the garage.

"It's our last shift together. It's crazy, huh?" Lucy mentions.

"Not really." Tim shrugs.

That hurts Ana the tiniest bit.

"Come on. I mean, we've been riding shoulder to shoulder for over a year now." Lucy says.

"And soon, there'll be a new rookie sitting in that seat, annoying the crap out of me for 12 hours a day. Or maybe two if they decide to fuck me over again" Tim answers.

That hurts a lot.

"So, you're not gonna miss riding with us at all?" Lucy questions.

"It's a job, not happy hour." Tim dead pans.

"Mm. Denial. Check." Lucy smiles.

"What?" Tim asks.

"Hmm? Nothing." Lucy shrugs.

Ana sits back in her seat, crossing her arms over her chest and looking down at the little baby bump that has started to form. It's made it harder to sleep, so Tim bought her one of those pregnancy pillows, which is literally the best thing in the world. 

But, maybe, all of this stuff that Tim has been doing for her, is because she's his rookie, for no other reason. Ana doubts that he has any sort of feelings for her, but she at least hoped that he saw her as a friend. Ana thought they were friends.

[Timeskip]

"Do you see yourself as our mentor?" Lucy asks, still stuck on this stupid list that Ana really wants to rip in half, it's only making this day worse.

"No. I'm your TO. It's my job to make sure you both aren't dangerously incompetent when you hit the streets without supervision tomorrow. You know, when I was a rookie, I couldn't wait to get off probation." Tim answers.

"Oh, I am excited. Believe me. But I also know the importance of acknowledging your loss when going through something like this." Lucy explains.

""Acknowledging your loss"? Hmm. What is this, some "Intro to Psych" closure BS?" Tim asks.

"It's not BS. It's a widely used psychological model to help people cope with the end of a relationship." Lucy elaborates.

"Relationship?" Tim scoffs.