Nineteen: A Firework Kiss?

Start from the beginning

Conrad had a lot on his mind then, as much as he hated the awkwardness, the jealousy, and even what happened the past summer, it gave him a distraction. It distracted Conrad from what he had been struggling alone with concerning his mom.

She was sick, and there was nothing he could do about it. Part of him thinks he was being strong for holding it in, that he would hold the burden of knowing for everyone else. But the other was plain up scared, would it even be his place to share? Would it fix anything that going on inside of him? He could tell the whole world and it would fix nothing inside of his mom, it destroyed him.

Calista eyed the boy, she knew him inside and out so it wasn't hard to tell that something was wrong. Something way deeper than the events of that day, or even that week. "What's really bothering you?"

Conrad looked up, his eyes meeting hers, and Calista felt her heart skip a beat. There was a rawness in his expression, a vulnerability that she hadn't seen in a long time."I..." He hesitated, his fingers then brushing against hers on the pavement. "I wanted to tell you something, but... I don't..."

Calista's brow furrowed, a flicker of concern crossing her features. "Conrad, you know you can tell me anything, right?

He nodded, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "I know Cali." He let out a soft chuckle, the tension in his shoulders easing slightly.

She could tell whatever it was, it was hard for him. She squeezed his arm gently, her eyes conveying a silent message of support, "maybe we can talk about it another time? When you're ready."

As they started to pick up trash again, Calista couldn't help but wonder what was on Conrad's mind. Whatever it was, she knew she would be there for him, just as he had for her. After all, they had been through so much together.

-x-

The warm summer breeze drifted through the dock, making the hundreds of fairy lights twinkle like stars. Calista shivered, though not from the evening chill, as Conrad stepped up next to her.

"Hey," he said softly, giving her a shy smile. "Nice spot huh?"

Calista nodded, unable to find her voice for a moment as she got delightfully lost in his warm brown eyes. Sure they had been together before, but this was the first time just the two of them had done something like this in awhile. It was like she was doing this all over again.

"Yeah, it's really pretty," she managed. They stood close, shoulders brushing, as the Steven and Jeremiah's fireworks began bursting rapidly. Calista loved watching the bright red ones the most. The two admired the streaks that shot up. Greens, whites, reds, and purples lit up the small cabana, making the fairy lights flanking them flicker and dance.

A few times their hands brushed as they turned to watch the show, sending shockwaves up Calista's arm. Conrad bit his lip, fighting the urge to reach out and take Calista's hand in his, not knowing if she wanted something that that right now.

During a suspended moment of darkness, Conrad shifted his weight toward her slightly. "Hey, Cali..." he murmured. She turned to him expectantly, but then the finale began. An overwhelming collection of deafening sound and blinding light caused Calista to jump at the first burst. Her hands came up to cover her mouth as she laughed at herself, Conrad laughed too.

When it was over and the ringing in their ears finally subsided, they turned to each other with breathless grins. The air was starting to get cold, but that didn't stop Conrad from reaching up and tucking a strand of Calista's hair behind her ear, letting his fingers linger perhaps a moment too long on her blushing cheek.