09 | ʀᴇᴅ ꜱᴋɪᴇꜱ, ᴇᴠɪʟ ᴇʏᴇꜱ

Have you ever been lucky enough to witness something as beautiful and mind-blowing as an eclipse? The whole celestial event that for many people can be a once in a lifetime time experience?

I do remember one. A total eclipse of the sun.

July 21st, 1991.
It was still early in the morning when the entire city went pitch black, a great commotion spreading across the streets from some of the locals that had no idea what was going on. Luckily, must of us had previously heard on the news about this forecast, therefore, I didn't fall prey to panic. Everyone was storming outside to gawk at the sky, to catch a glimpse of this magnificent occurrence.

Although I recall the beauty in it, I can also evoke the confusion and discomposure that it brought upon others; birds were chipping, flying in circles and searching for refuge in the trees, pet dogs howling at the moon along with the strays. An odd contrast, if I remember correctly.

I sort of feel like that right at the moment. Like there has been a sudden blackout and I'm a poor dove looking for a tall sapling to sleep on after having woken up barely a few hours ago, my whole brain scrambled.

Frankly, I didn't even notice when I rose to my feet. Did I say anything? Did anyone spoke, for that matter? I can't tell. There's a strange whistling in my ears, the kind that lingers right after you fire a gun. Except no one here fired anything; I'm simply that stunned over the quickness of everything, the unexpectedness of it.

Isabella Moreno has the type of intimidating magnificence that is daringly more powerful up-close. A dark, seductive charm. She lurks you in with her brown feline eyes, her long black hair and voluptuous body, only to strangle you in your sleep. She's the devil turned into a snake, tempting Eve to eat the forbidden apple. And I'm listening to her whisper, the quiet provocation that is commonly followed by confrontation.

"His girlfriend?" her voice is sullen, her northern accent being much more noticeable through it. But then she laughs as if she had just heard the most comical joke she's ever heard. "¿Novia de Ramón? Please, I wasn't born yesterday. Who are you, sweetie?"

There's too much kindness in her ring when speaking to me, the right amount to know that she's faking it; that she's actually being snobbish. I cannot lower myself to her level. If she's indeed the venomous serpent, I must be the holy woman that stepped on its head.

"My name is Elena." I smile at her with the most selflessness I'm capable of displaying. "I'm guessing you're Isabella." I stretch my hand for her to shake, unshaken. "Mon has told me a lot about you. I'm glad we're finally able to meet in person."

Her eyes narrowed, going from me to him, who was standing still as a rock behind me. She doesn't take my hand and I'm forced to retrieve it, slowly, as if to not embarrass myself.