"Bull-fucking-shit." Zion curses.

Mum's brow furrows as she looks from me to Zion. "It didn't sound like 'just a disagreement'," she remarks softly, her voice tinged with disappointment.

"Maybe you should ask your daughter who the fuck she's been with since the morning."

Zion shoots me a glare before reluctantly explaining the situation to our parents, briefly. He mentions our previous phone call and the car. I remain silent, feeling the weight of their disappointment bearing down on me.

Mum sighs heavily, shaking her head. "You two need to learn to communicate better," she says, her tone tinged with exasperation. "This constant arguing isn't healthy for anyone."

"Isabella. Who were you with?" My dad asked me softly but I could still sense the hint of protectiveness laced in his tone.

"I told you, a friend," I reply, my voice barely above a whisper. The guilt weighs heavy on my chest as I avoid my father's gaze.

Dad's brow furrows in concern. "Is there something you're not telling us, Bella?" he presses gently, his eyes searching mine for answers.

I swallow hard, the lump in my throat making it difficult to speak. "They're just...a friend," I repeat, my voice wavering.

Mum's expression softens as she steps forward, wrapping me in a comforting embrace. "We just want to make sure you're safe, sweetheart," she murmurs.

"Mum! I'm not some frail object, I know how to take care of myself!" Never in my life have I challenged my mother's tone, I never raised my voice at my parents.

Mum steps back, her eyes widening in shock at my outburst. "Bella, ya Hayati, we're just worried about you," she murmurs, her voice softer now, tinged with hurt.

(my life)

I take a deep breath, feeling the weight of my words settle between us, "Sometimes you need to stop focusing so much on me and pay attention to Zion for once."

The atmosphere in the room grows heavy with tension as my words hang in the air. Mum and Dad exchange a glance, a silent communication passing between them.

"Bella," Dad begins, his voice gentle yet firm. "We give attention to both of you equally. But right now, let's focus on resolving this situation." He runs a hand through his short brown hair.

We all head to the living room, where our parents are seated in front of us and Zion and I share a couch.

"Zion, Shu biddak ti2ul la'ukteek?" my mother says in her native tongue.

(what do you want to say to your sister.)

"Inha ghabiyye w kaddabeh" he spits, causing me to look at him with disgust

(She is stupid and a liar.)

"Enta akbar menafeq!"

(you are the biggest hypocrite.)

"Enough!" Our dad yells again, "Zion, outside. Now." He demands, but my brother doesn't move.

"Zion," he warns my brother again.

"You guys want to fucking suck up to her, fine then. When something happens to her, don't expect me to stand up for her ever again because I'm done protecting her, she's a fucking selfish human being!"

And with that, my brother storms out of the house, my dad following angrily behind him.

I flinch a little at the sound of the door slamming shut, "I'm sorry for the headache mum-" she ignores me and stands up, fixing her clothes.