"So far so good," Percy told Annabeth. He ignored the fact that he had a bump on the right side of his head. Melanie was more or less out to kill him. "Ten miles and not a single monster." She gave him an irritated look. "It's bad luck to talk that way, seaweedbrain."

"It's your downfall to have me in this car," Melanie growled. She was still dressed in her blue pajamas and was chewing on mint gum. Her ash-blonde curls stood up in all directions and fell over her back and shoulders. Her violet eyes narrowed at him and her arms were crossed dismissively in front of her chest. The only things in place were her black, white sneakers, her earrings in the shape of a silver fan and her necklace with the various pearls. Percy looked confused between the two girls he was sitting between.

"Remind me again—why do you hate me so much?"

"I don't hate you."

"Could've fooled me."

"I do," Melanie said angrily. "I hate you all."

Annabeth folded her cap of invisibility. "Look...we're just not supposed to get along, okay? Our parents are rivals."

"Why?"

She sighed. "How many reasons do you want? One time my mom caught Poseidon with his girlfriend in Athena's temple, which is huge disrespectful. Another time, Athena and Poseidon competed to be the patron god for the city of Athens. Your dad created some stupid saltwater spring for his gift. My mom created the olive tree. The people saw that her gift was better, so they named the city after her."

"They must really like olives."

"Oh, forget it."

"Now, if she'd invented pizza—that I could understand."

"I said, forget it!"

"Leave it alone Ann, he doesn't understand anyway." Percy turned to Melanie. She looked at him dismissively. "Don't ask why I don't like you. We already had this discussion with Chiron last night, especially since," she growled and pointed herself down. Percy had to suppress a smile. Despite her murderous aura, Melanie looked pretty cute. "you did drag me out of bed," she finished. This time the mischievous smile came through. Percy leaned down to Melanie and pinched her cheek. "You're cute when you're grumpy." She gave him an irritated look and slapped his hand away. "I'm going to hit you."

"No you will not."

"You're right, I'll stab you."

"You also wouldn't do that."

"Bet shrimp?"

"Let's go grape girl." Melanie quickly reached for her earrings, but before she could slit Percy's throat with her fans, Annabeth intervened. "Mel, stop that and Percy stop provoking her," she gave them both a harsh look. Melanie gasped in disbelief but pulled away. Percy grinned smugly at her and leaned back in his seat, knowing that if Annabeth was here, Melanie couldn't get to him.

In the front seat, Argus smiled. He didn't say anything, but one blue eye on the back of his neck waved at Percy. Argus was the camp's head of security. He had eyes all over his body so he could never be surprised. Today, though, he was wearing a chauffeur's uniform, so Melanie could only see extra peepers on his hands, face and neck.

 Melanie snorted angrily. There was a storm raging in her eyes. Percy, Annabeth and Grover turned their heads in her direction when they heard the familiar pop of a can and watched silently as Melanie looked out the window with a fiery gaze and sipped one of her purple Coke cans. Percy leaned over to Annabeth. "How does she always do that?" he asked the blonde. She was Athena's daughter and might know where the cans always came from. But Annabeth just shook her head and replied: "Some things just don't need to be found out."