He's Here!

Selena felt a chill wash over her. It felt like she was being stared at a little more intensely than usual.

She looked at them; these were the people considered the best of the pack.

"Greetings to Luna and the council," they bowed.

"Welcome home, and thank you for your hard work," she said gently.

"You all have done well. I hope you bring good news," Aldrin asked, interrupting her.

"Yes, my lord, the Crimson Fang pack has agreed to an alliance," the team leader replied.

"That's wonderful; you all should go and freshen up. There will be a communal dinner to celebrate your return; your families must have missed you," Sybil praised, smiling.

The team quickly dispersed after a nod from Selena.

All except One.

He walked straight towards her. He was tall and lined with lean muscles, his skin tanned from the numerous journeys he led.

"Hey", he beamed as he held her hand, his blue eyes filled with warmth. Selena couldn't help but frown.

How could he look at her like that when he loved another?

"Lena? What's wrong? Why are you so thin?" he asked, taking in her form.

"I am fine" seemed to be her mantra nowadays. "I have just been busy with clan matters," she said, subtly removing her hand from his grasp.

"I see. You shouldn't stress yourself any longer, though. I am home, and I'll take care of everything," he said gently.

She would have swooned hearing him say that in the past, but now, she felt disgusted. He had taken over the pack right under her nose and left her with nothing.

He must have noticed she wasn't in the mood for talk and said, "I will take my leave now; I need to wash off at least a week's worth of dust. I'll see you at dinner." He leaned in for a kiss, but she turned away just in time for his lips to graze her temple.

She had a full-body shutter moment as goosebumps covered her arms.

He stared at her in confusion, and she forced a smile. " I'm sorry. I thought I heard someone call for me. I'll meet you at dinner, " she agreed, stepping back.

Sif frowned but nodded and left. Selena slowly stumbled to her chair and sat down. That was good; she didn't try to rip his throat or vomit all over him.

That was good.

She jumped when someone touched her arm. " My lady, it's me," Bianca said, kneeling before her.

Selena blinked; she had forgotten that she wasn't the only one in the room.

She looked around worriedly.

Did she act strange? Did any of her thoughts filter out?

"You're alright; we are alone. What's the matter? You're shaking," Bianca said, holding up her hands.

Selena croaked, then cleared her throat. "I'm overwhelmed," she managed to push out.

Bianca sighed, "How can I help you if you don't tell me what's going on?" she mumbled.

"I'm fine, really. Let's get ready for tonight." Selena said, lips trembling as she forced a smile.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night fell sooner than Selena liked, and she sat beside Sif as they celebrated the team's return. Lanterns and small fires illuminated the clearing where the pack gathered to celebrate the hunter's return. A mix of the pleased scents of reunited families filled the air.