Chapter Fifty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"She won't care." I say but I'm not so sure about that and something about this is heartbreaking to me in more than one way.

"But what if she decides she doesn't want to live with me?"

"She can't. He can't see her and we all have restraining orders on him."

"But still, Kat. Sometimes, I feel so jealous towards you and Peeta and even Finnick and Annie."

"Why? If Peeta treated me that way, I would be so much happier raising my kid by myself." I say, but I know it's a lie.

I would feel exactly how she does, heartbroken and lost.

"It's bad enough he wasn't there to begin with and now that he can't see her, he really won't be there for her and he has a whole other family."

I frown, she's absolutely right on all of it.

"Bristol, Peeta is going to be a better 'father' figure than Brandon could ever be to Carter." I tell her.

"I know and he's been in her life since the very first day and Brandon hasn't. That's why I like having you both around but I am so angry." Bristol says.

"I just wish sometimes, I had someone. A husband or boyfriend to help me but I can barely trust men anymore. He's such a jerk and found a way to hide this all from me. And after the way Peeta was acting last week, I thought that I was completely doomed."

I sigh, "Me too." I tell her truthfully.

"I just wish bad things didn't happen to people like Peeta, it hurt him a lot."

"I know. It seems like he never gets a break, it's either me or his family or someone else."

"And I don't help."

"But you're our family so it doesn't matter." I say.

"Sometimes, I can tell Peeta's jealous of the attention you give me or Carter."

I shake my head, "It's not that. It's just that sometimes, when people are around I tend to shut him out or everyone and sadly, it's usually him that I shut out but not on purpose." I tell her, remembering how in large groups I usually converse with everyone but Peeta, only saying a few things here and there and I don't know why I do it but I do.

"But I'm sure it's still frustrating. I know we've ruined a lot of your time together."

"Honestly, you and Carter always make our days better." I tell her truthfully.

She smiles and laughs, shaking her head.

"I'm sorry that I was being rude tonight. It was just so hard for me. Carter should've done that with Brandon watching or with Brandon being that person but he's not even here and I know damn well he's home for Thanksgiving." Bristol says.

I frown, "But it's better that he's not here."

"It is."

"It's going to be okay." I assure her.

She sighs.

"I will call you tomorrow and maybe we can hang out or shop or do something." I suggest.

She nods and hugs me, "Thank you."

"Goodnight." I say.

"Goodnight. We love y'all."

I smile, "We love you guys too."

And with that she leaves and I go back inside.

"What was wrong?" Peeta asks, just a little before bed.

"Well, Carter's fabulous father has another child that's just a few weeks younger than her and he's getting married to the mother." I say, so angry.

"Are you kidding me?" Peeta asks.

I nod my head.

"That is insane." He says.

"And he was so worried you and Bristol were cheating on with each other or something stupid and he cheated on her way before we knew them." I tell him.

"Bristol is pretty pissed?"

"Wouldn't you be?"

"Yeah."

"He cheated on her way before, hid it all from her, they get divorced and now he has a new wife and a kid that doesn't matter and one that does."

"Poor Carter." Peeta frowns.

"I could kill him." I say.

He sighs, "Me too."

It's quiet for a really long time and we just stare at the ground.

"She doesn't deserve that. Neither of them do." Peeta says.

I shrug, "I know we've talked about it but you know that no matter what happens, you're going to have to be there for Carter and Willow both." I say.

"I know and I will be." Peeta says, staring off in a daze.

I sigh, "How are you going to do it?"

He shrugs his shoulders, "I guess I'll figure it out."

"I'll help you." I say, knowing he's going to need it.

"I just don't want either of them to feel like I'm ignoring the other. I'm Willow's dad and I should be able to give her all my attention but I have Carter who I made that deal way before but again Willow is my baby and that's wrong to do but it's also wrong to do to Carter." Peeta says confusingly.

I know he's so confused about it all and I am too.

Honestly, I love Carter with all my heart but Peeta is Willow's dad.

I'll be damned if he doesn't give her enough attention and I'm sure it'll cause problems between us both but it's a sticky situation.

"I don't know." I say just as confused as him.