20 - Night Before The Trip

Madeline's POV

Another week went by since Demetrius met with his pack, he was spending less and less time inside the house now.

Each morning I would wake up alone, make myself something to eat and help myself to his many bookshelves adorning the different rooms of his home. Then when the sun came down, Demetrius would come home and make us dinner, sit with me while we ate and wander off into his office for the remainder of the night. I was going to sleep alone.

Whenever Demetrius left his home, he would make sure the door was locked now, not wanting anyone to enter on their own accord. Which meant that each day I remained locked inside this house.

The only time I spent outside was when I would wander out into one of the balconies, look out over variety of buildings and trees that made up Demetrius' territory.

I'd ask him each night, any updates? But he would simply shake his head and go back to whatever he was doing. But I struggled to believe that he had received no updates from either my mother, or Calla, while I have been here for the last fourteen days. Something felt suspicious deep down in my gut.

So tonight, I was not going to take a simple shake of the head as a definitive answer from my mate, tonight he was actually going to talk to me.

When Demetrius came home in the evening, I was already seated in the kitchen waiting for him to start dinner, up on the stool with my legs swinging back and forth eagerly.

"How was work?" I chirped, as he came over to place a quick kiss atop my head, rounding the kitchen island to the sink and began washing his hands.

"I think I might need to leave for a few days, give Calla a hand." Was the response I got.

My breath hitched in my throat as I waited for him to look at me, but he didn't. Why does he need to leave? Was I going with him?

No I don't think I was, he hadn't specified that I would be tagging along for this trip.

"So you got an update? Is everything okay?" I pushed. There was this ache in the pit of my stomach that told me Demetrius was hiding something from me, that maybe he'd been lying to me this whole time about his work, for two weeks now he'd kept himself busy with paperwork and meetings, but each time I asked he would tell me there's isn't much to talk about.

I still remember the note he received the day we returned to his territory, it said his brother had returned, but wasn't his brother with the humans?

Demetrius grunted and turned to face me, drying his wet hands with a towelette, he met my gaze. "Everything will be fine, princess." He reassured me, a softer tone in his voice than I was expecting. He was withholding from me, I knew this.

"Did they find my sister?" I blurted. At this point the mission had extended out further than just rescuing the missing women, it now included the safe return of my sister, and the reappearance of Demetrius' brother as well. Which he was yet to talk to me about.

Demetrius turned away from me as he began pulling out the equipment necessary for the dinner he was making. "They know that your sister is no longer with the Serpents. Calla and the others have moved past their territory and into the Ogre's land, still following the missing women's trail." He finally revealed.

Mika wasn't within the Serpent Kingdom? Were they even the ones that took her?

My head began to feel heavy as I slumped down in my seat. My sister and I did not have the most positive relationship, but I wanted to know if she was safe, I wanted my family back. My family was torn right now, my father gone, my sister gone, I was so far away from my mother, nothing felt right about this situation.