8: House of Gold

Love. She doesn't care about that kind of feeling. She doesn't care what true love is as long as she's with him and continues feeling that kind of happiness. That is enough for the Abandoned Princess.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

It was the spring of my 10th birthday. Two years had quickly flown by since I first met Ciel. The vivid green leaves and bright, cheerful colors of the flowers were a feast for my eyes.

In the distance, I watched the red-headed Captain handing a basket to the King, who sat on his dark horse. They exchanged brief words before Lucas placed his fist on his chest and bowed as Edmund departed through the palace gates. A routine that Edmund does every time my birthday comes.

Although I felt a small pang of disappointment, I was relieved that I would not celebrate my birthday with the man who made my heart quiver in fear.

I turned and walked away before Lucas could spot me and cling to me like a leech.

"Good morning, Priestess Irene," I greeted as I entered the royal church. Irene stood at the altar, meticulously cleaning the statue of the Goddess of Light.

The morning sunlight streamed through the large windows that surrounded the church. I love how they built a stained window by the altar and the way the light filtered through the colors, as it danced and kissed the goddess with its soft hues giving an ethereal glow.

As if expecting my arrival, the priestess turned around calmly and returned my greeting with a warm smile. "You're early for your morning prayer as usual, Princess Elaine. And happy birthday."

Irene was the one who saved me two years ago, sustaining me with her magic while I was asleep for four months. Priestesses like Irene were blessed with light magic, particularly healing magic.

"Thank you. I could say the same thing to you, priestess, cleaning the church early in the morning. Isn't that the clerics' job?"

"I was resting my vocal cords and don't have anything to do."

Sitting near the front of the altar, I found myself thinking that whoever sculpted the marbled statue must have seen Cianna in person, it was carved exactly in the likeness of the goddess, down to the smallest details. Its face was sculpted not in joy nor happiness that brought a smile to someone, but a face of a heartbreak. One would think she looked as if she had been betrayed by someone she loved.

Taking my eyes away from Cianna, I spoke, "I heard you're prolonging your advancement to be a high priestess. Usually, people would jump to such opportunity, but you on the other hand seem hesitant."

"Oh, you heard of that..." Irene's voice trailed off as her hands stopped moving.

"The newly assigned clerics didn't seem to know how to whisper properly, and I happened to unavoidably overhear them while I was praying. I didn't mean to pry; I was just curious as to why a hard-working priestess like you is hesitant to move up in your rank."

"I see. Well, it's not a secret, so it's fine, I guess," Irene replied, sitting beside me. She folded the cloth that was used to clean the statue and placed it to the side. "Becoming a High Priestess is a long process for me. I would have to go to the Holy Empire to study for several years. As someone from a commoner family with four siblings relying on me, I couldn't afford to leave my family, at least not yet."

"I understand. It's not like you'll actually lose the golden opportunity. I believe that Goddess Cianna would be happier knowing you chose your family over becoming a High Priestess. But it's a shame; they say high priestesses have higher salaries."