1: House of Gold

And there was a time when she stopped caring. Seeking that attention and love. The Abandoned Princess just.. just continues to live under pain, fear, loneliness, and grief.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

The melodious voice reverberated around the small church. It may be small but it was undoubtedly the most beautiful place of worship in the capital of Luville Kingdom, according to the priestess. Rows of large arc windows on both sides of the walls letting the natural light fill the space. The pristine white walls made it look spacious, accented with a few elegant gold designs here and there. The ceiling was quite high and the altar looked more dazzling every time I looked.

The priestess stopped, then resumed her singing with a soulful voice. I didn't mind her practicing her vocal cords while I prayed to the Goddess of Light. The atmosphere was so serene that it felt as if the Goddess herself was ready to take me back.

With my hands intertwined and my eyes closed in prayer, I questioned the Goddess again. Why was I here? Is this a punishment because I cuss too much? Or was it because I was not fit to be a holy maiden or was I too hardworking that she'd given me a vacation leave, a forced one?

I remembered what she said to me back at the old church, that I shouldn't think of it too much. It's just that I couldn't help but be confused.

The Goddess was a weird one. She tells stories about another world called Earth where there were technologies and such. I have no idea what technology she speaks of but I didn't bother asking because she would explain it more complicatedly that I will never keep up. She also talks about books and games from Earth, most of it was about a person that got transported inside the book or game.

She even wrote one. My Fair Maiden.

And one of her characters had the same name as mine.

'It's your destiny.'

That's what she said. I was destined to be Princess Elaine, the Abandoned Princess, from the book she had created.

That character was bound to die in the end.

I clenched my jaw as those words kept repeating inside my head.

It's your destiny. Your destiny.

"Fuck destiny," I spoke out loud in frustration which made the priestess choke, flabbergasted at what she had just heard. She stared at me, wide-eyed, like her eyes would pop off any moment now. It almost looked funny.

"Ah.. I apologize, Priestess Irene. I shall ask the holy ones for forgiveness," I said as I closed my eyes again and ignored her stare.

When I was done with my prayers I bid goodbye to the priestess who gave me a small nod in return as she continued to sing.

According to the priestess, the church was built because of the late queen. It became a hot topic back then when the kingdom was still just a small land unlike now, my said mother wasn't a religious person and would rather sleep at her favorite place—by a cliff, finding peace in nature. No one knew what my mother was thinking when she suddenly wanted a church near the palace and visited only once after it was built. A gift to her is what she said and nothing more when someone asked.

As for this person, her identity never came to light.

It has been a day since I awoke from a deep slumber—four months, to be exact.

I could say that nothing had changed within me, I couldn't feel any magic at all. I was still a weak mortal being.

Yet, I survived and am alive, though just barely appearing so... I might as well have flown away with the wind with how skin and bone I looked.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

The Abandoned Princess was still living alone at the Garnet Palace. She looked like she's about to die while the king and the prince only visited her once. Her family hasn't seen her after waking up from a long sleep. Truly, she is an Abandoned Princess.

That was the rumor circling around the royal estate. I wouldn't be surprised if it spread throughout the kingdom.

With the said misfortune, the servants looked at me with extra compassion to the extent of giving me food which I found was unnecessary. Even so, they were kind to offer—more of shove—to me their charity.

Well, I looked extremely unhealthy with my scrawny figure after sleeping for four months, with the continuation of healing magic imbued in me to keep me alive. Thanks to the priestess. I could see where the pity was coming from but I didn't need more food, I was eating properly and just waiting for my original body to return.

Instead of food, I told them that money was enough, especially when I went out and started to visit the church once in a while. With that request, every servant or knight that I encountered on my stroll to the church offered me a gold coin or silver coins. And I was happy to receive their goodwill and concern even though it was kind of bothersome, especially that day.

There came a day when I was standing in front of a line in confusion. Both servants and knights, even those who were not assigned in the area were pulled by the people I interacted with, stood in line, giving me their coins. I was like a money collector with an open pouch on my hands.

"We heard quite rumors going around, princess. A funny rumor."

Agitated, I found myself standing before the King of Luville Kingdom in his very own office. His gaze bore into me intensely.

Almost two months had passed since I had awoken from my deep sleep, enjoying my quiet days when I was suddenly summoned to meet my father.

My eyes shifted towards Lucas, who stood just behind the king with his usual smile, he then continued, "Someone was extorting inside the palace walls. Pray and tell that the rumors about you were just mere rumors."

Extortion?! How did it come to this? I never intended to exploit anyone, they voluntarily gave me their money... Or this was just my excuse. I did go out more often than I would love to, collecting their money happily. Oh heaven saints! I even used the words collecting, money, and happy in one sentence.

Uwaah! I could already see myself facing the consequences that I made. Imprisoned and dying.

"Princess Elaine," Mykel spoke taking my attention from the dread of my future. He also stood behind the king. "Taking someone's money is bad, especially when it concerns the alms of the church," he said in a tone like he was speaking to a child.

Alms? I never steal nor ask for money from the church... Is it because I've been going to the royal church that people think that I was there to take the church's money?

What's with this rumor? This misunderstanding.

"We haven't conducted any investigation," Mykel continued. "We wish to hear your side of the story first, your highness, before doing so."

When I was about to provide the side of my story in desperation to clean my name, Aiden barged inside the office in an unprincely manner. "Father! I know where the malicious rumors about Elaine come fro—" His voice stopped upon noticing me. "...Sister?!"

It has been a while since I last saw Aiden, he had grown significantly in a short amount of time.

"Hello, brother," I greeted him. Relief flooded in my heart at his sudden arrival. A savior has come!

I'm glad my relationship with Aiden was better than the original story.

Aiden looked at me with a conflicted expression, he took a step back. "I..Apologize for the sudden interruption, father. I'll come back again!" He turned around and ran before anyone could stop him.

Wait! Why stop at that crucial moment? You're not going to stay and help me out?

My heart sank as I watched the door closed. Did I do something?

Perhaps because I missed his 10th birthday. He probably was angry about it, I think..

Come to think of it, I too missed my birthday by just one day. I regained consciousness a day after my 8th birthday.