4: Heart of Glass

The first princess was born and grew up in the royal palace and yet it felt foreign to her.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Having a picnic alone in the garden has been a leisure time of mine. I always make Haisley rest in the afternoon while enjoying the bonding time with myself.

The cold air breezed indicating that winter season was around the corner.

I looked over the warm milk and cookies on both of my hands. It would be great to drink some wine. Alas, I am in a child's body.

A shadow loomed behind me that I had to look up to see the intruder of my lazy afternoon. The anger in his gold eyes was gone as we both stared at each other in an awkward position.

Coming from his training Aiden, the gold-haired prince, was covered with sweat and smudges of dirt here and there. Before we could even speak, a drop of sweat fell hitting perfectly to my left eye.

"Holy mother of god!" Even though I was experiencing an extreme amount of pain, I stopped myself from cursing in front of a child.

Groveling down on the blanket I rapidly blinked my eyes as I silently screamed all the curses I knew.

"Huh? W-what are you doing?" The very person who caused me so much pain asked in oblivious.

Cianna on a hike! It fucking hurts!

With tears falling and a reddish left eye, I turned to look at the clueless prince.

"Why are you crying? Are you hurt? Wait here, I'll call the doctor!" He said panicking.

Witnessing the little prince with a worried face I couldn't stay angry at him even if I tried to.  "No no, it's fine. Your sweat just went to my eye, that's all," I said like it was no big deal while my eye was twitching in pain.

Aiden quickly apologized.

After what happened before who would have thought that this child could say sorry so easily?

"Are you sure? It looked painful," he said guiltily.

It was really goddamn painful. I took my handkerchief and wiped my tears. I could still feel my left eye burning from the little prince's salty sweat.

Now that I finally looked at him this close, I just noticed that he had a beauty mark on the left corner of his eye. I would bet my irritated red-eye that years later he'll be as handsome or maybe more handsome than his father.

He was just two years old when the queen died and probably doesn't have much memories of her.

The only thing I couldn't comprehend was that someday this person would watch his sister die at the hands of his father. How much does he dislike the Abandoned Princess?

I do understand that he lost his mother because the queen chose to give birth to the princess, but he should have been more considerate as he grows into an adult.

But then again, with my not-so-reliable memory and the not-so-great story of Cianna, I don't know what really was the cause of his hatred to escalate in the future.

"I.." Aiden spoke. He seemed to be struggling to speak. I tilted my head and waited for him to continue patiently. It took him a while but I didn't mind, I enjoyed watching his cute expression as he struggles. "I don't hate you," he quickly said, which surprised me.

I didn't know why I felt warm from his confession but I was relieved. I might have a chance to survive.

It's a good start...but why do I feel my stomach churning? 

Too much milk?

Ignoring the prick of pain in my stomach I gave Aiden a small smile. "I don't hate you too."

And from then on, the sacred bonding with myself become a bond between me and my brother. Every weekend I was having a secret picnic in the garden.

Yes, it's a secret. People didn't know that the crown prince always visits his younger sister in the garden of the Garnet Palace. The handful of servants working in the palace won't see us since the large tree was blocking us and I ordered Haisley to tell the servants not to bother me including her.

It has been two months after that eye-blinding incident. I could still remember the burning pain in my eye that it would twitch a couple of times. 

The little prince emerged from behind the statue, it perfectly hides the narrow way between two shrubs.

Panting, Aiden quickly lay down on the cloth that spread across the grass and closed his eyes. As usual, he was covered in dust and dirt. His hands have a new set of bruises from his swordsmanship training.

As a servant of the Goddess of Light, I was the closest to her. This means that I always handle her weirdness. By tending to her needs, cooking difficult Earthly food, listening to the stories of her adventure, and trying my best to decipher the technologies she speaks of. I was constantly stressed especially when she disappears one day without notifying anyone and returned years later.

Hold on.

Could it be? 

There's a high chance that I'm on a "Vacation," I said out loud, clasping both of my hands.

"Vacation?" Aiden asked opening one of his eyes.

Ignoring him I took out the clean cloth I always prepare from the basket and wiped his face. I could say my relationship with the prince was opposite of our age, which I don't mind acting as his older sister since I'm way older than him in the first place.

"Brother, you should take some rest before coming here," I suggested as I continue to wipe the sweat and dirt off his soft face.

"I am resting," he stated.

"What I mean is rest in a proper place, like on the bed. And won't they suspect your whereabouts? Suddenly disappearing after the training."

He quickly sat up. "Then why don't you let me suggest to father to bring you to the Emerald Palace?"

This topic again...

I took out the extra glass inside the basket and poured some cold milk. "I'm already contented here."

"Just say that you don't want to be with me," the little prince said pouting as he stared at his glass of milk.

Lately, he won't hesitate to act cute in front of me.

"It's not like that." I patted his head taking his attention away from the milk, those gold eyes stared at me with big puppy dog eyes. "I'll think about it and you don't have to talk to his majesty. I'll be the one."

His face broke into a wide excited smile, "Really? When?"

"I'm still considering it. Please understand that I prefer fewer people that's why I want to stay here but I'll think about it, alright?"

"Got it! I'll make sure you won't be overwhelmed when you move!"

When? Probably years before I could decide. My neck was on the line so I need a longer time.