10 Fathers and Sons

Yanca returns from his watch and settles by the fire. He holds the golden medallion in one hand. His thumb traces the outline of the tree while pressing the raised bumps on the back. Kitsanaku joins him and begins humming a melody. Soon Muala joins them, and one by one, all the Manyan come together with Yanca at the fire. They are all humming the most beautiful lilting melody that I have ever heard. The tune is so exotic, and yet sounds so familiar, as if I have known it all my life.

Turning, turning, always turning,

Long around the tree,

Once around, twice around,

thrice around the tree.

Where we finish, we continue.

Where we end, we begin.

May all the people be happy.

They repeat the last words over and over, and each person drops out, until only Yanca remains. Then he stops, but the melody continues, reverberating in the chamber for many moments.

The Manyan perform this song and others telling the story of their ancestors. The songs relax us and bring us together. They are stories of bravery, of love, of sadness and grieving, family, growth, new beginnings, and more. Kitsanaku knows and sings all the songs. She is the keeper of knowledge. She acts out the story in an intricate dance, moving delicately, swaying with the rhythm, her face mirroring the emotions. Piala joins with her, watching her closely, tracing her moves like a reflection; mother and daughter reliving ancestral stories. For the Manyan, the songs are more than entertainment. The songs are a way to remember, to strengthen bonds, and to heal.

Some dances have more than one part. In one dance, Kitsanaku is the father, and Piala is the son. Vintu and Amak are fishermen. The father is saying goodbye to his son, who leaves with the two fishermen. They touch their foreheads together, saying, 'Where you finish, I continue.' Piala walks with Vintu and Amak to the darkness of the far wall. Kitsanaku sits down by the fire and acts out the braiding of palm fronds. Now and then, she glances up toward the far wall. She repeats these words, 'Where you finish, I continue.' Piala returns halfway and stops. She whirls around, forcefully swaying back and forth, and finally floats down to the ground, motionless. Kitsanaku continues to braid, but when she sees the two men return alone, she falls to the ground, beating it with her fists. The dance ends with the repeated words, 'Where you finish, I continue.' Kitsanaku looks over at Yanca, who nods as they exchange a sad, sweet and knowing smile. This is the story of Yanca's son.

Gabriel shows a particular interest in the performance, and afterwards sits quietly by the fire. Silva, Dante, and the two Manyan men return to preparing the boat and their sailing lessons.

"Your home, Po-ta-ga, it beautiful?" Yanca asks.

"Yes, it is a beautiful land with many villages and people."

Yanca picks up a fish and offers some to Gabriel.

"You, many family in Po-ta-ga land?"

"No, not anymore. My mother passed recently, and my father was lost at sea before that. I have no brothers or sisters."

Yanca offers him more fish. Gabriel politely declines. Yanca continues holding out the food, lifting it up higher. His eyes are those of a child, twinkling in the delight of some hidden knowledge. Gabriel laughs and finally accepts the fish.