12 | Sparks Fly When Demons Die

Pressed up against the wall of the alley was a young girl, probably still in high school, fingers tightly grasped around her neck.

Those fingers belonged to a grull demon.

"Help!" she cried, struggling for breath.

"Don't talk!" I called back. "Try and stay still,"

She nodded, fear in her eyes.

Sliding my mobile from my pocket I punched in Angel's number as fast as humanly possible.

"Hello?"

"Angel, its me Lily. There's a girl being choked to death by a grull demon in one of the alleys next to the store. Well like, behind but next to-" I tried to explain, my voice trembling as I watched Kingsley attempt to pull the demon off the girl.

"I got it. Kill the demon, save the girl and then run. There's more where that one came from down here," Angel replied.

I gulped.

"Okay. Thanks,"

He didn't reply, simply cutting the line.

"Carpenter!" Kingsley shouted and I whipped around to face him and the demon.

"What do I do?" I cried, panicking.

"Shoot the damn thing!"

"O-Okay!" I replied, hastily pulling my gun out of my pocket and releasing the trigger.

I shot the demon once, terrified that I would shoot Kingsley instead.

Or worse, the girl.

The demon cried out in pain and recoiled, allowing the girl to escape.

She stumbled slightly before bolting out of the alley, adrenaline clearly pumping through her.

"A thank you would have been nice," I muttered before firing towards the demon again.

"Die you stupid growl demon!" I yelled and Kingsley shot me a look.

"Really?"

"Duck!" I screamed, ignoring his comment as the demon raised an arm over his head.

Kingsley dropped to the ground just in time, rolling away.

The demon lumbered slowly towards us, its long arms reaching out to grab me.

"No way,"

I shot the demon twice, causing it to, ironically, growl in pain before falling to the cobblestone floor of the alleyway.

"Is it dead?" Kingsley asked, slowly standing.

"I don't know," I replied, panting for breath.

He walked over to the demon, peering tentatively at its limp body.

"Its not breathing," he called back and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Kingsley glanced around the alley as if looking for something.

"What are you doing?!" I cried.

"Looking for something I can use to behead it," he called back.

I tossed him a knife from my belt and he caught it in one-hand, smirking at me.

"Come on!"

Rolling his eyes, he cut the grull's head off in one smooth motion.

"Fine," Kingsley spoke, turning back to me with a coy smile.

"Lets. Go," I spoke, my voice hard to disguise the terror I couldn't shake.

The two of us bolted through the warren of alleys, neither of us any idea of where we'd come out.