02 | Changing The Topic (From Organ Harvesting To Colleges)

"Yes, we're all fine," I assured Marian, the boss of the thrift store the next morning.

She didn't come into the store except for on Fridays so I had called her to ask if Angel and his team could come investigate.

"It's so awful what happened. Reminds me of little Jacob, two years ago," Marian spoke, referencing the shooting that had occurred before I started working there.

"I know. But Angel and I...we can figure it out," I told her.

"Of course. I have full faith in you and his team, Lily. Stay safe," she replied and I smiled gratefully.

"Thank you. You too," I replied, hanging up.

Now to call Angel.

The card had a small illustration of what I guessed was an angel and a number underneath it.

Dialling the number, I tapped my fingers across the store's front desk, suddenly nervous for no reason.

"Angel Investigations! We help the hopeless!" a cheery female voice spoke.

"Helpless!" a male voice shouted back that I recognised as Angel's.

"Helpless," the girl corrected herself.

"Can we help you?" she asked.

I stifled laughter.

"Uh...yeah. I think so, anyway. Um, I'm Lily Carpenter. Angel and I found the body outside of the thrift store yesterday?"

"Oh right! I'm Cordelia. I work here too. I'll put him on for you," she replied.

"Thanks,"

"Lily?" Angel spoke. "Sorry about Cordelia,"

I grinned.

"No problem. New employee?" I asked.

"No, actually, the business was her idea," he replied and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Well, it's all clear for you guys to come by, I just spoke to the store's boss," I told him.

"Great. Cordelia and Wesley will be around soon. I'll drop in later this evening," Angel replied.

"Sure. Work to finish off?" I asked.

"I'm sorry?"

"I mean, you said you would come around later...I just figured..." I spoke, my voice trailing off.

"Oh! Yeah. Work," he said and I smiled.

"Cool. Well I'll see you later!" I chirped.

"See you later," he spoke solidly, cutting the line.

I had haphazardly stuck crime scene tape on the two windows as well as the usual 'we are closed' sign.

We were hardly ever closed as a small charity store, though not many people ever came by.

A sharp knock sounded at the front and I looked through the window to see a college-aged girl and a tall man with glasses.

Cordelia and Wesley.

Opening the heavy wooden door, I greeted them with a smile.

"Hi. I'm Lily," I spoke as they entered.

"Wesley Wyndham-Pryce," the man spoke.

"Nice to meet you," I said and he nodded back.

"Cordelia Chase. We spoke on the phone," Cordelia introduced herself again and I grinned.

"Hi again,"

"So. This is where it happened?" Wesley asked.

"Not exactly. The woman, her name was Emmeline Zhao, was killed outside. Angel and I found her on the wall next to that window," I explained, pointing outside.

"How'd she die?" Cordelia asked and I faltered.

The woman had had a sharp gash across her stomach, several of her organs missing.

"Um..." I spoke, my stomach swirling at the thought of it. "Organ harvesting,"

"Oh," Cordelia replied. "Ew,"

I nodded in agreement.

"I can show you around the store if you want. Two years back a little boy was killed through that window. Shot," I told them.

"The same window that the girl was found next to?" Wesley questioned and I looked over at him.

"Yeah,"

"Were you there when it happened?" he asked and I shook my head.

"No. I've only been working here for a few months. I graduated college last year,"

"Where did you go?" Cordelia asked.

"Cordelia-" Wesley interjected but I shook it off.

I was perfectly glad to not discuss brutal murder.

"UCLA. I majored in criminology," I replied.

"How fascinating," Cordelia spoke, rolling her eyes.

"How about you?" I asked, ignoring her comment.

"I don't go to college. I'm an actress," she told me with a flourish of her hand.

"But...you work for a private investigation company?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow and Cordelia sighed.

"Angel's an old friend. It's a long story," she replied.

I nodded, leading both of them through the store, past the shelves and shelves of bric-a-brac and racks of ratty clothing.

"God, people actually buy this stuff?" Cordelia asked and I laughed.

"No. Not really. But it's a charity store so that's how this place is still in business. People donate so they feel like good Samaritans. And they feel bad about what happened to Jacob," I replied.

"He's the child who was shot?" Wesley asked and I nodded.

"Apparently he was only six when it happened,"

"Do you think the two murders are connected?," he asked me and I shrugged.

"They could be. Thought that was your job though. Figuring stuff out," I replied with a smile.

"Always good to have perspective," he bristled.

Cordelia snorted and I grinned at her.

"That's about it," I said once we had exited the back door.

"Why are people murdering people here of all places? It's so...not evil," Cordelia remarked.

"What I want to know is how someone managed to harvest someone's organs in the middle of the day on a busy street," I spoke.

Cordelia and Wesley exchanged a look.

"What?" I asked and they sighed.

"I think Angel should tell you," Cordelia said awkwardly.

Boy, was this case about to get interesting.

(A/N: dun dun DUNNNNNN- hehehehe, hope you guys like it so far!!! Stay safe and totally tubular and I'll see you in the next one! xx)