Despite the pain, slow healing, and lack of supplies, he was glad to be away from, well, everything, and was relishing the closeness that was continuing to grow between him and Snape. Except when Snape left him to explore the forest, they hadn't been away from each other in twelve days. They sat together constantly, talking about almost anything, having little else to do. They slept tucked against each other for warmth and comfort. Snape's tactile gestures increased by the day, providing Harry comfort through pain, nightmares, and lingering loneliness.

The thought made Harry suddenly realize something and he turned to Snape with a frown. "My scar doesn't hurt."

Snape looked at him with his own frown. "Excuse me?"

"My scar doesn't hurt," Harry repeated. "There's nothing. No stinging or burning or tingling."

Snape put his own bowl of berries down and reached up, pushing Harry's hair away from his forehead. A long finger traced where he knew the lightning bolt to be.

"It looks no different," Snape said, dropping his hand. "You are sure it feels different?"

Harry nodded. "It doesn't feel like anything, like it's not even there."

"Is this sudden or since we've been here?" Snape asked.

"I don't know. I just realized it now, but I've been focused on other pain the last few days and I'm so used to it hurting that I didn't notice anything different," Harry said. "It could be since we got here."

Snape's eyebrows furrowed and he picked up his forgotten berries again.

"Should I be worried?" Harry asked, chewing on a mushroom.

"I am unsure," Snape said and then he sighed. "I am unsure of many things since we've arrived."

Harry was surprised at the admission. Snape was always sure about everything. He looked around, though, and was able to understand the uncertainty. He nibbled on another mushroom while staring absently at the river, watching as the surface sparkled under the sunlight. He let his mind wander, wondering what was happening back at Hogwarts and with the Order in the wake of their disappearance. He wondered who cared they were gone, if anyone. He was sure Dean, Seamus, Neville, Luna, and the twins would be worried about him, but who would be worried about Snape? It stung to think no one would be particularly concerned for Snape, just for his role as spy.

He was about to eat another few elderberries and let his mind continue to drift when a new distant sound interrupted his thoughts. His hand hovered in the air as he strained to hear, frowning at what sounded like creaking wood and crunching gravel.

He looked at Snape who had also tensed beside him, listening. "Professor?" he said quietly.

Snape made a motion to stay quiet and Harry nodded, focusing back on the sounds that seemed to be growing louder, closer. Soon, voices seemed to join the other sounds and Harry looked at Snape again, alarmed. What could they do? There was nowhere to hide and they didn't have their wands. They had no way to fight and were still mostly incapable with their injuries.

They turned their heads to the left and watched with wide eyes as a horse-drawn wagon occupied by three people emerged from the forest. It followed the wheel tracks and was heading in their direction. As the wagon drew closer, Harry found Snape stretching an arm across him, hand curling around his outer thigh, in a gesture of protection. They could do nothing but watch as the horse, wagon, and its occupants came to a stop in front of them.

"'Lo there," one of them said, a young, muscular man with long brown hair pulled back at his neck and full facial hair buzzed close to the skin. His voice was deep, but could clearly boom if he wanted, his brown eyes alight with kindness.