Chapter 13.

1

The security measures were never as backed up as then in the bleak and barren winter of 1993. That had made it utmostly impossible for Harry and Ron to visit Hagrid in the darkness and silvered by the moon evenings. Their only chance of talking to him was during Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

They'd made progress none yet on their undoubtedly annoying and redundant ever argument with Hermione and Y/N. Strangely neither side had been willing to come forth and break it and make up. Thus there were only sometimes thrown uneasy glances by perhaps two of their number, only by which.

But why the looks? I know that's not you, sheep. Not for you I'm worried.

Now one of the said glances. And finally it would be laid to peace. As they walked back up the castle on one of the rare white days in that omnipresent grayness and dampness, when the sun was shining for them over the longlasting emerald or castleton coloring the trees, the said looks were cast while speaking with Hagrid were them four. Hagrid was plowing in the middle, separating them in two pairs. He was strolling with his arms rarely ever swinging forth and back as if he were come down with paralysis from his thighs up, with only the eyes rolling about and observing around. And he was numb with shock at the deadly verdict as if his brain were impaled by a great and sharp spear right in the very amygdala.

"It's all my fault," he said slowly and quietly and obviously heard was the crestfallen aspect in his voice. "Got all tonguetied. They was all sitting there in black robes and I kept dropping my notes and forgetting all them dates you two looked up for me." He looked down about Hermione and Y/N when saying that and his lips curled slightly upward in gratitude but then even that had gone to distance almost forthwith after. "And then Lucius Malfoy stood up and said his bit and the Committee just did exactly what he told them."

"There's still the appeal," Ron said. "Don't give up yet, we're working on it."

"Are you all good now?"

"Good about what?"

"About what. You four."

They glanced about. None of them seemed to know exactly. Perhaps they did and just didn't see the aim of producing themselves by speaking up.

"No," Y/N said, he'd a voice.

"Oh."

Ahead of them they could see Malfoy walking with Crabbe and Goyle and they kept looking back, laughing derisively. They all reached the castle steps.

"Well," Hagrid said and paused to look and spoke on: "Anyway. It's no good, Ron. That Committee's in Lucius Malfoy's pocket. I'm just going to make sure the rest of Beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had. I owe him that."

Hagrid turned around and hurried back toward his cabin, his face buried in his handkerchief.

"Look at him blubber!"

Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle stood just inside the castle doors, listening.

"Have you ever seen anything quite as pathetic?" Malfoy said "And he's supposed to be our teacher!"

Harry and Ron both made furious moves toward Malfoy but Hermione got there first and slapped him across the face with all the infallible strength she could muster. Malfoy staggered about. Harry, Ron, Crabbe, and Goyle stood flabbergasted and looked dumbly at her and remained doing so. Then

Hermione raised her hand again, a scowl drawn on her face and she said: "Don't you dare call Hagrid pathetic. You foul and evil . . .!"

Nobody said anything as if they all were lost about their wits entirely.