Chapter 4.

father – Divination – Care of Magical Creatures

1

It was just noon when I was walking by the bridge, and I halted and stared about my longlost friend, but he was not the same, nor his face looked the same, as if he were indeed a person unknown to me. Absquatulated me and them in need like some father of an unwanted child. Not me. I stood still and blinking against the wind blowing from behind me, staring down the man without a hand below his elbow. I was not sure whether to turn back and leave or continue the staredown without any true sense. Whomever he was now, I ask myself.

„It's you," said the friend and smiled a pained smile. „How is it going?"

„I'm fine."

„Thought you died."

„I didn't."

„As I can see."

„You seeing fine."

He came over to the man he assumed was his companion. Around the bridge stood water frozen and flowed below when the snow fell from the gray sky, and the sky had cried in adagio its frozen tear. The faces of the past reflected in a blue fluid that swam. The man almost slipped on the iced stone but stood on his feet. He raised his chin slightly and exhaled through his nose.

„Careful," the friend said, „what would your child do if you were to die?"

„Aye. It wouldn't be good, but he would live on. I know that look in his eye."

„Wouldn't be good."

They stared in silence at each other and again at the bridge and water underneath, and there were fishes under the ice. And there was a single tree.

„Why did you want to meet me?" said the man.

„You know your son?" said the friend.

„I do know my son, indeed. Just born."

There was a sound of a bell sounding in the distance. Midday arrived. The cloud thickened, and more snow had been falling. The friend had been arriving for two days and then made it clear he wasn't going to lie.

„My friend, I am sorry. I need to hurt you," said the friend and hung his head.

The man stared, and a hand came to a wand and reached and took the wand, and face hardened, and eye lit up. „What do you mean?"

„You aim to cast a spell on me?" said the friend and glanced about but didn't take his wand. „This is hard for me, you know it is?"

„It is not."

„I think you can't be a father."

Blinking, he hid the wand. „And why is that?"

„You are dying. I came to help you die."

The man rubbed a hand at his forehead with a gloved hand. The hair on his face wet from the snow, and tear arose and rolled down.

„So this is it? My final day?"

„Not final."

„I will help you become who you always wanted to be."

The man guffawed at the sentence spoken and continued to laugh for a minute. „I always knew you were a fucking moron."

„Not a moron."

„I doubt that."

„You will be free."

„Released only from my body, maybe. Bad fate, I would suppose."

„That's different."

„What's different about it?"