Chapter 3. The dementor

The following morning was accoutred utterly with a light at the very dark blinds coming with a magnificent shine that would wake the ancient dead up, and Harry got woken by Tom, got dressed, and was trying to get his white owl to her cage when Ron walked in without knocking. He was pulling on his sweater and looked irritable.

„The sooner we get on the train, the better," he said. „Least I can get away from Percy. Now he's accusing me of dripping tea on his photo of Penelope Clearwater. His girlfriend." He grimaced.

„I've got something to tell you," Harry said.

He got interrupted by Fred and George walking in, again the Weasleys playing the misplaced role of a tactless remuda, as if they were indeed horses. He didn't say what he had wanted to say, and they headed down to breakfast. There, Mr. Weasley was reading the front page of the Daily Prophet with a furrowed brow, and Mrs. Weasley was telling Hermione and Ginny about a love potion she'd made as a young girl. They giggled, like after a great joke spoken. Y/N was looking about them and had nothing to say and drank whatever was in his cup while sitting on the stool by the bar, and his hand was cupping his cheek. Harry and Ron sat down.

„What were you saying?"

„Later."

Harry had no chance to speak to Ron nor Hermione nor Y/N before leaving. They were too busy heaving all their trunks down the Leaky Cauldron's narrow staircase and piling them up near the door, with Hedwig and Hermes, Percy's owl, perched on top in their cages. A small wickerwork basket stood beside the heap of trunks, spitting loudly.

„It's all right, Crookshanks," Hermione said through the wickerwork. „I'll let you out on the train."

„You won't," Ron said. „What about poor Scabbers, eh?" He pointed at his chest. A large lump indicated that Scabbers was curled up in his pocket.

„Cinder would eat the rat without hesitation," Y/N said and glanced to his cat, a joke not spoken.

„Would she?" Hermione said.

„She needs to eat. And I will not keep my kitten hungry."

Mr. Weasley said from outside then: „Harry, come on."

He marched Harry across the short stretch of pavement toward the first of two old-fashioned dark green cars, each driven by a furtive-looking wizard wearing a suit of emerald velvet.

„Get in, Harry," Mr. Weasley said and glanced about the crowded street.

Harry got into the back of the car and was joined by Hermione, Ron, and Y/N. The journey to King's Cross uneventful compared to Harry's trip on the Knight Bus. The Ministry of Magic cars seemed ordinary, but Harry noticed they could slide through gaps that Vernon's new company car certainly couldn't have managed. They reached King's Cross with twenty minutes to spare. The Ministry drivers found them trolleys, unloaded their trunks, touched their hats in salute to Mr. Weasley, and drove away, somehow managing to jump to the head of an unmoving line at the traffic lights. Mr. Weasley kept close to Harry's elbow all the way into the station.

„Right," he said and looked about them. „Let's do this in pairs. I'll get in first with Harry." Mr. Weasley strolled toward the barrier between platforms nine and ten, pushing Harry's trolley. With a meaningful look at Harry, he leaned casually against the barrier. Harry imitated him.

In a moment, they had fallen sideways through the solid metal onto platform nine and three-quarters and looked about to see the Hogwarts Express, a scarlet steam engine, puffing smoke over a platform packed with witches and wizards seeing their children onto the train. Percy and Ginny suddenly appeared behind Harry. They were panting and had seemed to take the barrier at a run.