Chapter 7.

1

They'd been all Gryffindors sent to the Great Hall by Dumbledore and then joined by Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw and Slytherins in that clamor and they were walking about that place, each student, with equal amounts of confusion. It was loud and unnecessarily dim lit by the candles orange. But it smelled of rain and there was a sky grafted from those magical particles of ceiling's stone as the moon, yet great and silver and blue.

Then McGonagall and Flitwick closed the last doors into the hall. Dumbledore came about the middle from where the students could see him. He stood tall and raised his chin and opened his arms. "The teachers and I need to thoroughly search the castle," he said. "I'm afraid that for your safety you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately."

Dumbledore turned to quit the hall but paused and turned again. "Yes, you'll be needing . . ." He waved his wand. The long tables flew away to the edges of the hall and stood against the walls and the floor was covered with hundreds of purple sleeping bags.

"Sleep well," he said then closed the door after he'd quit.

There were more talks hung in the air when they were left alone as if made only to speak words without need they were at that time. Gryffindors were speaking animatedly about the attack on the painting.

"Everyone into their sleeping bags," Percy yelled. "No more talking. Lights out in ten minutes!"

"Come on," Ron said.

They seized the bags and came away about the corner and squatted on the bags some ways from each other and some further ways from others.

"Do you think Black's still in the castle?" Hermione said.

"Well, Dumbledore thinks he might be," Ron said.

"It's very lucky he picked tonight," said the girl. "The one night we weren't in the tower."

"I reckon he's lost track of time."

"Possibly."

"And didn't realize it was Halloween. He'd have come bursting here otherwise."

They climbed inside the bags and she turned in a lying position to face Y/N. He was staring about the doors still astraddle on the bag and then caught her gaze and stared now at her and wrapped himself in to sleep too and with his hand supporting his cheek lay that way. There was a shine to the eye otherwise dull.

"What?" she said and smiled.

"Nothing."

"No."

"I wonder how did that man get in?"

"I wonder that too."

"Doesn't make no sense."

Around them were also words exchanged on that matter.

"Maybe he knows how to Apparate," said a Ravenclaw girl a few feet away. "Just appear out of thin air, you know."

"Disguised himself maybe," said some Hufflepuff boy.

"Could've flown in," Dean Thomas said.

"Am I the only person who has ever bothered to read Hogwarts, A History?" Hermione said, folding her arms in her lap, staring at Y/N and Harry and Ron.

"You know. You could be," Y/N said. "Could not be."

"Why?" Ron asked the girl.

"The castle's protected by more than walls, you know. All sorts of enchantments on it to stop people from entering by stealth. You can't just apparate inside."