Maya

As first hour ends, Farkle comes up to me. "Hey Maya, where's Lucas? He wasn't in history with us. I know he's here, I saw him in the hall this morning." He says concerned. "Huh. I don't know where huckleberry is. If I see him in art next hour, I'll ask him where he was okay?" I say as I put my books in my locker. "Okay. See you at lunch!" He says smiling. I close my locker and turn around to find Lucas right behind me. He looks so cute! His hair wind blown, his eyes focused on his locker.

"Hey Ranger Rick, where you been?" I ask as he gets into his locker, and takes out his art book and paint set. "Oh, I missed the subway this morning. Just got here." He says as he closes his locker. "Oh really?" I say. He nods. "Hmm well that's odd. Farkle says he saw you in the hallway this morning." I state. He's lying. But why? "Fine. You caught me. I'm sorry, I just had a lot to think about. Can we please just go to class?" He asks heading towards the art room. He walks fast, and I have to jog to catch up with him. 

We walk in silence, and the next thing I know, art is over. We go our separate ways. Him to English, me to math. I take my seat and endure the rest of math until finally the bell rings. All the way to lunch, I think about Lucas. He's never missed a single class since he's been here. I wonder what he's thinking so hard about.

I get my food and sit next to Lucas and Farkle. They're already talking about something. Some sort of after school activity that I won't go to. I don't really care. "Maya? Maya!" Farkle says, waving his hand in front of my face. "Woah what?" I say. Taking Farkle's hand and putting it down. "We're all thinking about going to the dance. You should come!" He says, excited. "What dance?" I ask. "The one tonight. It's a masquerade. I was thinking we could all go, but not tell each other what we're wearing. Or if we are even going." Lucas says, joining the conversation. "That way, we won't know who anyone is." He adds. I think about it.

I could go to the dance. It would be my one night to dance with Lucas without him knowing about my feelings for him. But I would have to be convincing. I could wear something that's not like me. And wear a mask of my own. Not one that they hand out. Then they would know if it's me or not. I'm in!

"Alright." I say. Farkle gets excited. "So you'll go?!" He says practically bouncing out of his seat. "Maybe. I guess you'll just have to wait and see." I say.