Daisy

"You are going to start a fire in the carpet at the rate you are pacing, baby," Austin says. She knows, but she can't help it. Her father had just phoned to say they would be here in ten minutes and she is nervous. It's not like a normal meeting with a new partner. When someone new comes into the family they are the outsiders. No one knows them and the family is on one side while the new person is on the other side. But, this is different. Technically she is the new person. Daisy has already built relationships with everyone in the family. Even Sharon likes her and Sharon does not like anyone. From what Austin has told her everyone loves her and thinks highly of her. This is by all rights her family just as much as it's Cleo's. What if Cleo does not like her? What if she does not like Cleo?

What if she is one of those horrible stepmothers who acts all nice to her in front of everyone else but is an utter bitch to her when they are alone? What if she talks shit in her father's ear and breaks down the relationship Cleo has just gotten back with her father? Maybe it's too early to meet her. Maybe she should call off this meeting and postpone it to another day or never. Fuck! What is she going to do? Austin grabs her shoulders suddenly and dips his head making her look at him. "No to all the questions in your head except the positive ones. Daisy is amazing and you will love her. She will love you too. You guys will grow close and you will cherish the relationship the two of you will form," he says sternly.

"You promise?" she whispers. "I promise, baby," Austin says. He believes that. Cleo lets her body relax a bit and breathes out. He is right. She is just overthinking and getting into her head. Then her body stiffens and her anxiety soars when the doorbell suddenly goes off. "Breath, baby. Just breathe," Austin says. Cleo takes a few deep breaths and then nods her head. She trusts Austin. "You want to come with me or wait here?" he asks. "I will wait here. My legs are not working," she squeaks. "Ok. I will be back soon," he says then walks out of the den. Cleo has to focus on her breathing. The house is so dam big that she can't hear anything even when she listens carefully. So all she can do is wait in the middle of the den. She is still in Daisy's pajamas, she would have liked to have gotten dressed up nicely for Daisy, but she has no clothes and Sharon is taking her sweet time in sending some clothes over for her. Dam that best friend of hers.

She sighs in relief when the den door starts to open, glad Austin is back. But, her relief does not last when a sweet-looking lady with white hair pops her head in. "Oh, Cleo...look at you," she says softly, her chin wobbling and her eyes tearing up. Cleo's emotions bubble up too and her chin wobbles. She likes the lady immediately. "Oh, you don't know who I am. How silly of me. Introductions. My name is Daisy. I married your father five years ago. I was never able to have any children but I have spent a lot of time with you over the past six years and I feel like you are my daughter...I...I tell people I have a daughter when they ask if I have children. I also feel like Austin is my son and I love you both so much...look at you. Oh, you are so beautiful," she says. Her voice is warm and comforting. The type of voice that would soothe a worried or sad child.

Cleo blinks her eyes in the hopes of getting rid of her tears but it only makes them fall down her cheeks. "I..." she tries to talk but she can't. "Do you need a hug, dear?" Daisy asks. Cleo nods and puts her arms out. Daisy rushes up to her and hugs her tightly. They stay like that for a long time, both women crying and swaying in each other's arms. Daisy gives good hugs and Cleo feels safe in her arms. She knows now she never had anything to worry about, Daisy is lovely. Austin and her dad peep through the door and then smile at Cleo who smiles back at them and then waives them away. She wants to talk to Daisy alone. She wants a moment with just her and Daisy to get to know each other and start building a bond.

"How are you coping, dear?" she asks. "I am doing alright. It's a lot... every day...every second I feel like I learn something new," Cleo says wiping her cheeks and sitting down when Daisy does. Daisy reaches out and takes her hands in hers. Her hands are soft and delicate and her nails are a pretty light pink. "I can just imagine how hard all this must be. But, you have a whole family behind you and Austie. You are not alone."