Gut Instict

Cleo blinks her eyes open and looks around the room. Sharon has gone home but Austin is still there. Still in his corner on his chair, sleeping. He is always just there. It's early morning and she feels a little bad that he has slept on that chair all night. But, he has slept on that chair every night since she woke from her coma. How long has she been awake? A week she thinks. Poor guy, but he never complains. He never says anything. If she trusted her legs she would get out of bed and place a blanket over him, but she has not attempted walking yet even though she can feel and move her legs. The door to her room opens quietly and Sophie slips in. She is as quiet as a mouse as she walks up to her bed with a smile. "Good morning, sleepy head," she says. Cleo has tried to hold fast to her dislike toward Sophie, but she is very nice. As long as she keeps a somewhat respectable distance from Austin, Cleo is fine with her. "Morning," Cleo whispers.

Sophie fiddles around with the machines and things around her bed like she does every morning while Cleo watches her. Sophie looks the same age as her and she is very pretty. Far too pretty to just be a nurse. She could be a model and it makes Cleo feel a little insecure. Why?  "Sophie...would you mind placing a blanket over him please?"  Cleo asks. Sophie looks over at Austin and smiles. "Sure," she says ducking under the bed and coming up with a blanket. Cleo frowns and leans over to look under the bed. "Is that a fort?" she asks.

"Yup. It's so weird seeing him over there."

"It is? He does not sleep over?"

"Oh, he sleeps over all the time. But, usually, he is in bed with you."

"He sleeps in bed with me?"

"Geese, I can't get him off you. He is very touchy."

Cloe's brows raise and her eyes widen. She does not know how she feels about that. "Nothing weird. Just little kisses and above-the-blanket touches. Although from what Sharon has told me you are into weird things and people. Hence this guy right here," Sophie says placing the blanket over Austin. He wakes up immediately and frowns. "Well, that did not work. You want some coffee?" she asks him. "Yeah, thanks Soph," he croaks out running his hand over his tired face as he sits up. "I will be back soon with your breakfast," Sophie says to Cleo and walks out.

They are not often left alone, but they don't talk when they are. Cleo is not sure how to start a conversation with him and she thinks he is no better. "Excuse me," he mumbles and then ducks into the bathroom. Sophie comes back in with two food trays and places them on the table that rolls over the bed. "It's very quiet in here. Want some music?" she asks. "Um...yeah. Thanks," Cleo says. Sophie fiddles with the radio and then settles on a station that is playing a song she does not recognize, but she likes the voice and she frowns a little because although she knows she has never heard the song, she is pretty sure she knows the voice - it gives her goosebumps.

She hears the toilet flush and then Austin opens the bathroom door giving Sophie a pointed look. Sophie just shrugs. "I stole you a breakfast," she says pointing to one of the trays. "Thanks, Soph," Austin says softly and reaches over to pick it up. "Oh...you can share the table with me. There is enough space on the bed for you to sit," Cleo says, she does not want him to crawl back into that awful corner.

"You sure?"

"Yes...please," she says moving her feet to ensure he has enough space. Austin looks a little unsure but eventually sits down on the bed although he is very careful not to touch her and keep a little distance. "Alright! What have we got?" Sophie says pulling the silver cover off Cloe's breakfast dish. "Eggs, bacon, toast, and yogurt. You remember what eggs are?" she asks. Cleo looks at her and can't stop the smile that creeps onto her lips.

"Yes."

"What about bacon? Or Toast? Did they have a toast before you knocked your head?"

Cleo laughs softly and shakes her head. "Well then this will be an experience for you. Toast is my comfort food. You will be hooked after your first bite," Sophie says. "You are funny," Cleo says. "She is not. Don't let her fool you," Austin says quietly and rolls his eyes at Sophie. "No one asked you," Sophie says pulling a face at Austin then turning to continue fiddling with Cloe's machines. Austin stays quiet and nibbles on his breakfast and so Cleo stays quiet too although she finds her body rocks absent-mindedly to the music playing.