Blind Date

Austin pulls up to the restaurant and cuts the engine then stares at the restaurant through his windscreen. He hopes like fuck this is just a friendly sibling dinner and not Tina's idea of a badly planned blind date. She has been trying for years to set him up with a handpicked woman. Guilt grabs the back of his neck and his stomach flip-flops. He is not even out of the car nor has he any evidence that this is anything but his sister wanting to meet him for a nice dinner, and yet he can't shake the feeling of cheating. It's just not right. He does not want to be here. But, he has to have some normality in his life according to Tina and the rest of his family. What is normal anyway? His life is what it is and he has made peace with it.

He stamps down the overwhelming need to phone Sharon and climbs out of the car. He can't phone her every five minutes and if anything happens he will be the first person Sharon phones. She has him on speed dial and will not hesitate to phone him within seconds if need be. If there is anyone he can trust it's Sharon. She loves Cleo just as much as Austin does. He finishes a cigarette in the car park to calm his anxiety then flicks it into the gutter just before he gets to the restaurant door. "Hi. I am joining a table. Should be under Madderson," he says to the hostess. She looks up from her booking book, her mouth dropping open as she stares at him. "Uh...you OK?" he asks waiving his hand in front of her face, starkly aware of people starting to turn in their seats to look at him.

"Oh! S-sorry! You just caught me off guard Mr Post. Post Malone...here...wow," the hostess stutters out. "I am not working right now and am meeting family for dinner. I would appreciate the privacy...please," he says. He does not mean to come off as rude, but he has just come off a six-month tour and wants some form of normalcy even if it's just for one fucking second.

Normalcy.

What is normal?

His life changed ten years ago. It will never be normal and it's not for the reason you think.

"Oh, yes. Of course. The Madderson table has been booked in a private room. I will take you through," the hostess says quickly, grabbing a menu and leading the way through the tables. He greets people back as he walks past, not stopping for a second or it will encourage them to get out of their seats and ask for a photo or worse - engage in a conversation. He appreciates them enjoying his music and knows he would be nowhere without the public and their support. But, a guy deserves some downtime. Maybe that's why he hates leaving Cleo. She brings the opportunity for him just to be himself - that young boy who had fallen head over heels in love before fame and fortune. There is always a sense of calmness in her.

"Here you go Mr. Post," the hostess says stopping at a door and smiling at him as she holds out the menu for him to take. "Thank you...uh...how many people are in there?" he asks.

"Just two. Mr and Mrs Madderson."

"Ok. Thank you," Austin says breathing out in relief. Maybe Tina had finally gotten the message after all these years, although he had always been very stern about where he stood. He is a married man and as long as Cleo's heart was still beating nothing would change that. Not even a nagging sister. He takes another deep breath, forcing himself not to look at his phone, and pull up the live security camera footage. He has checked it three times since leaving her - he needs to calm the fuck down when he is away from her or he will go insane. Sharon is with her and she is fine.

He turns the handle and opens the door. "Austin!" Tina shouts out happily, jumping up from the table and rushing over to him. He hugs her, pulling her in tight. He loves his baby sister and he knows she loves him too, she just goes about it in the wrong way sometimes. Her heart is in the right place so it's hard to fight her on her dumb ideas. "Hey, Pete," he says reaching over the table and shaking his brother-in-law's hand before pulling a chair out and sitting down. "I have to apologize to you, T. I thought you were setting me up on one of your stupid blind dates," he says. "Oh, how silly!" Tina says and starts laughing as she sits back down. Austin's heart drops. That is her fake nervous laugh. She is up to something. But, he does not see a fourth-place setting so he relaxes a little - he is just overthinking.