Chapter 15: A Special Day

Liam was laying in bed as he was thinking of the day that had passed for them. They had gotten some new rooms in a higher level of the building, with actual decoration in the halls other than just the gray stone of a prison. That's when he finally remembered something through the fatigue of the warehouse. It was his mother's birthday tommorow, and he didn't have any plans at all. He jolted awake when he came to that though, quickly getting on to Google to search up something fun that he could book last minute. After that last mission, he was paid out pretty well, so he could afford to spend extra on last minute tickets to something. He wanted it to be unique, fun— not something boring like a movie, but not something that seemed dangerous.
And that's when he stumbled on to something.
It was on the edge of the Strip's recreational district, a once in a lifetime performance from a masked entourage of entertainers. He checked the reviews of their other shows— 4.6 stars, now he were starting to get somewhere. He opened his messenger app as he texted his mother.

Hey mom, I found a nice place we could go to for tommorow.
[link]

Oh, that looks fun honey! I wouldn't mind going there tommorow! Can you afford it though? I don't want to be breaking your wallet just for me.

Oh yeah, the new job pays pretty well. Mind if I bring a couple friends with me? I got some nice coworkers over here that would probably love to meet you.

Sure honey, as long as you trust them, then I trust them too. I'll meet you at the square at 5.

Alright Ma, I'll see you there. Love you.

Love you too, goodnight honey.

He probably should have consulted everyone first, but they had an easy day off tomorrow after the job today, so he might as well try and bring the others along. It could help him get a bit closer to his teammates, and besides, hr wouldn't mind introducing Eli and Liv to his mom. And... Max he supposed, although he didn't expect he'd accept it if he asked. So he went to sleep, awaiting the next day excitedly.

— — —

"Yeah, sure... I'll come."
"I mean I can understand if you don't— wait. Really?"
"Yeah, saw you out there yesterday. Guess you aren't just a damn nobody."
He was pretty surprised that Max accepted to come... but he didn't mind. He was already guessing that he had a bit of a wall hiding his feelings towards them— most people aren't that much of an asshole towards random people. He spoke as he looked up at Max, still surprised, but also starting to see his suspicions confirmed.
"Well head out at 4:30 then?"
"Yeah, that works. Not like I'm doing anything today."

He got ready for a more casual day as he walked out of his new room, sitting in a new lobby with a few people he didn't know, waiting for Eli and Liv.
Eventually, Eli came out of the room, sitting down next to him as he looked at Liam, who seemed like he was expecting something.
"You want to say something, or?"
He cleared his throat as he started talking.
"Well, I was just wondering if... mabye you wanted to come with me and Max to my Ma's birthday? I found a really nice place in the rec-"
"Yeah, I'll come. You convinced Max to come?"
"Didn't do much, he just... accepted."
Eli looked a bit stunned from that as he paused for a second, finding some words before continuing.
"Huh. Well what do you know, mabye he isn't just an emotionless shell."
"You think Liv would come?"
"Nah, after yesterday she's just gonna stay in bed today."
"Ah. Meet at the secret entrance at 4:30?"
"Aight."

He stood on the side of the grey brick hallway, a poster to his right acting as its door. Eli and Max came down the hall not long after he made it there.
4:25
"We ready to go then?"
Max piped up, seeming a fair bit more energetic than he had been the past few days.
"Let's get goin' already."
They made their way out of the tunnel, out in to the open streets as they darted through alleys and dashed down streets on the way to Starlight Square— the dead center of the strip. Once they arrived, no one else noticed except him. He could see his favorite person on the planet waiting beside one of the shops of the square. Her graying hair and tanned skin were all reminders of his fond memories of her, as he walked over to her.
"Hey Ma."

The older woman went to wrap Liam in a tight hug, a wide smile on his face as their embrace broke a few seconds later, as he turned over to Max and Eli.
"Meet my Ma'. Ma', meet..."
Eli spoke up first, a bit of a smirk on his face after seeing such affection from a man in his early adulthood.
"I'm Eli, nice to meet you ma'am."
He held a hand out for a handshake as she wrapped her ashen hand around his, giving a firm shake as she smiled at him.
"Oh, you're a nice young man. With friends like you two I'm sure Liam is in good hands."
Max was the next one to speak up, feeling a bit of second-hand embarrassment from Liam's hug, but not wishing to be rude.
"Max. Good day, miss"
She held a hand out to shake his, and he reluctantly took it, giving her a light handshake in return before she spoke again.
"Well good day to you too! Should we get going then?"
Liam still had that smile on his face as he started walking.
"Yeah, don't wanna be late to the show!"
He was overjoyed at how things were going. He needed some light hearted fun after yesterday, and celebrating his mother's birthday here would be the perfect way to do that.

None of them noticed the masked man keeping an eye on them from an alley.