Chapter 23:

Angele's POV

**************

"I have to go set something up. Wait right here." Hayes said getting out of the car. 

"Should I be worried?"

"No... I don't think so."

"Wait, Hayes?"

"Huh?" He turned.

"Am I allowed to get on my phone now." I smirked.

"Until I get back."

"Be careful."

"Always." Hayes disappeared behind the trees.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and saw three unread messages from Serena.

GREEN ARROW: You okay?

GREEN ARROW: Are they torturing you?

GREEN ARROW: Do I need to come bust you out?

I smiled. It was amazing to have a friend willing to drive two hours to rescue me.

ME: no rescuing needed. Met some guy. Up in the mountains now.

GREEN ARROW: Haven't I taught you anything? You're not supposed to go off with some random guy!

ME: I know, but he's not going to hurt me

GREEN ARROW: that's what they all say before they're killed. or find out the result of the pregnancy test is positive.

ME: He's only thirteen!!

GREEN ARROW: That doesn't mean anything!

ME: He's back. I've gotta go.

GREEN ARROW: Be on your guard!

I shook my head and grinned. Gosh I missed her.

"What now?" Hayes asked as he helped me out of the car.

"Serena is warning me to be on my guard tonight so I don't end up dead or pregnant."

"I see. You've got a good friend."

"Sure do."

"Can I borrow your phone?"

"Um... sure?" I passed him my phone.

"Pass code?"

"1994."

He punched in the numbers unlocking my phone. He went into my messages and clicked on Green arrow which was at the top, he clicked on contact.

"What're you doing?" I tried to get my phone from him. He pulled it away and held up a single finger, signaling for me to wait.

"Hi is this Serena?" Hayes asked.

"Hi, yes. I am the guy who has Angele up in the mountains. I assure you, you have nothing to worry about. I will take good care of her." Hayes hung up.

"What was that?" I asked.

"I was assuring your friend that I was not a murderer." 

"She knows." 

"I'm sure she does. You ready?" Hayes asked nodding toward the path.

"Am I going to be able to make it up there with this?" I asked lifting up my boot.

"Should be able to... If not I'll give you a piggy back ride."

"I'm glad you've got my back."

I started walking on the gravel toward the dirt path, Hayes came down moments before. Hayes was still by the car.

"You coming?" I asked.

He shook his head making his dark hair flop, "Yeah sorry. Lost in thought."