32 | Just A Few Bites

Adrien woke up an hour early before school started, determined to convince Nathalie to let him go back to school. Even though he was eighteen now and technically didn't need her permission, he knew her choice to keep him homeschooled was to protect him, and he wanted to be courteous and at least ask first.

Despite just wanting to get out of the house, and away from his father's ghost, he also wanted to graduate with his friends. Honestly, he also missed his schoolwork.

He knocked two times on her bedroom door. "Come in!" She called out.

Adrien opened the door and stepped in. "Good morning, Nathalie."

"Adrien, you're up early," She pointed out.

"I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Before breakfast?"

The thought of food and actually eating something made him frown. Ignoring that, he said, "I want to go back to school."

Nathalie's eyes widened slightly as she sat up in bed. "But I thought we agreed that it'd be better for you, safer for you, to be homeschooled! Away from all those reporters and paparazzi, not to mention those nosy officers..."

"Well, I don't care about that anymore!"

"Adrien—"

"There's only a few months until graduation and I want to spend the last of my time in school with my friends! I want to graduate with my friends, not by myself at home."

Nathalie frowned slightly.

"For once in my life, there's something I want to do, a choice I want to make, and my father isn't around to decide anything for me anymore!"

Nathalie stared blankly at him. Was Officer Reimer right in suspecting Adrien of something?

Adrien suddenly realized what he said, and quickly cleared his throat. "I-I mean... right now... my father isn't here right now to dictate my life. I want to be in control of my life from now on." Shit, I might've just made things worse. I hope Nathalie doesn't take what I said the wrong way.

She straightened her back as she adjusted her glasses. "You're right, Adrien. It's time you were in control of your future."

"So I can go back to school?"

"Yes."

Adrien ran over and hugged her tight, a little too tight. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" He cheered into her ear.

"Uh, A-Adrien?" She asked as she winced a little.

He gasped and pulled back. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!"

"It's fine—"

"Are you okay, Nathalie? I didn't break your ribs, did I?"

She rolled her eyes and chuckled. "I don't think even you're strong enough to do that, Adrien." She grabbed his hand and reassured, "I'm fine, Adrien."

They stared at each other and smiled. It'd been a while since they could be in a room together and it not end in a screaming match or shared glares.

"I'll let your bodyguard know. Go get ready before you're late."

Adrien bent down and kissed her forehead. "Thanks, Nathalie," He told her with a big smile.

The model ran out of her room and back into his. He took a quick shower, changed into clean clothes, and styled his hair—which his kwami teased him for—and grabbed his schoolbag. On his way downstairs, he video-called his girlfriend. He was excited to finally call her that.