27 | Conversations With A Ghost

Marinette checked her phone and stood up fast. "I need to head home. My mom's making dinner and if I skip again, she might start asking questions."

"Of course." Adrien stood and hugged her. "Thank you... for everything."

She held him tight. "Always, kitten." She pulled back and kissed him gently. "I'll see you later."

The bedroom door closed behind her.

Plagg floated over to his holder and rubbed his stomach. "I'm starving. Those groceries your chef bought looked really good."

Adrien rolled his eyes. "Go ahead, Plagg."

"Wasn't asking for permission!" His kwami phased through the floor.

He shook his head and chuckled.

"Adrien, what are you doing?!"

The model spun around fast. His face fell in disappointment when he saw his father's ghost again.

"You should've grabbed her earrings while you had the chance!"

Adrien immediately glared at him. "Why would I ever do something you ask?" 

"Because I am your father," He stated simply.

"Really?" He asked as he looked him up and down. "Can't do much now that you're dead."

Gabriel raised his arms and looked at himself. "I'm still here, aren't I?"

Adrien grabbed the remote and threw it at him. It went straight through his body and directly into the wall.

"Well, maybe not physically."

"You're just a figment of my imagination. A hallucination! Just a stupid ghost."

"But I'm still here," His father countered. 

A headache came as Adrien balled his hands into fists. "Why did you hide my mother from me?!"

Gabriel's face softened and he turned to look out the window. "Oh, my dear Emelie..."

"Answer me! You lied to me about her—for years! You said she disappeared!"

"And she did!"

Adrien shook his head. "No, Mom's been in the basement—which I also just found out about—this entire time!" 

Gabriel stormed up to his son, which made him stumble back in fear. "Your mother's mind and soul are gone, Adrien! What the hell do you think I've been doing all this time? I've been trying to bring her back! To me! To you!"

"I thought my mother was dead!" He cried out, fresh with tears. "You let me believe I would never see her again, and all this time... she was here! She was here!"

"I kept her a secret because I hadn't found a cure yet!"

"How did Mom get in that state anyway?"

His father looked away in shame. "Your mother... she used the peacock miraculous while it was broken."

Adrien's eyes widened. "What?"

"She got sick and I couldn't help her..."

"Sick? But... Nathalie's been sick, too, just like Mom," He whispered, mostly to himself. "Did Nathalie use it, too?

His father nodded. "Nathalie was Mayura." 

"What? No..."

"Soon Nathalie will see the same fate as your mother."