15.

'Merry Christmas Matilda!', Taylor greets her daughter as she walks into the nursery in Travis' house, Matilda grinning at her with wild hair and a her pacifier hanging from her mouth.

'Shall we see if Santa came to see you, sweetie? Will we see if he ate all his cookies?'

Taylor picks her up, changing her diaper and attempting to brush her hair, before carrying her downstairs, observing the scene she and Travis and set up before he had left last night.

He had a game today, the Chiefs one of the lucky (or unlucky?) teams to be playing on Christmas, so he'd had to leave them both last night, not at all happy about it. He was reassured by the fact that he got to play Santa before he left, and that Taylor's whole family were staying too: Scott, Andrea, Austin and Austin's girlfriend Sydney staying in some of Travis' guest rooms.

In the living room, she watches as Matilda looks around, little feet in Bluey slippers padding across the wooden floor. Beside the Christmas tree, there are three piles of presents: one distinctly for Matilda, her personalised wrapping paper reading 'To Matilda, from Santa' ; another pile Travis had left last night, for Taylor, and a third she had set up this morning, just for Travis. There were more, of course, under the tree, for the rest of their family, her parents included.

She laughs as Matilda immediately aims to eat the leftover half a cookie on Santa's plate, swiping it out of her hand before she can, knowing that one of the cats had definitely been licking at it before her. Travis had done the Santa honours, drinking the customary glass of milk and leaving cookie crumbs, as well as taking a bite out of Rudolph's carrot. Matilda hadn't known what on earth they were talking about last night when they'd set it up, but Travis was so adorably excited about spending Christmas with them that Taylor had leaned all the way in to the fun.

Walking into the kitchen, Taylor is greeted by her mom, who is standing at the stove. 'Merry Christmas, mom!', she says, coming to hug her, Matilda wrapping her arms around Andrea's neck.

'Merry Christmas, my girls! Breakfast will be ready soon. Pancakes, bacon, sausage, fruit, maple syrup, the whole works. Travis will be home soon, right?'

'He should be here any minute, thanks mom. I'll make some coffee'.

Taylor sets Matilda down on the floor, leaving her to toddle around the kitchen, and sets the table and puts on a pot of coffee, calling upstairs to her dad, Austin and Sydney that breakfast was ready.

Just as she's back in the kitchen she can hear the front door open and close, and she says to Matilda, 'Tilly, I think that's daddy! Go see where he is, baby'. She laughs as Matilda drops the sippy cup she was holding, running out into the hall, hearing Travis call out, 'Happy Christmas baby girl! Did Santa come with lots of presents?'

Taylor follows Matilda out into the hall, snapping a picture of the two of them caught up in a hug, Travis' eyes shining as he holds her close. He opens his eyes to see her standing, watching them, and opens his arm to her. 'C'mere, girl. Merry Christmas'.

Taylor practically runs into his arms, kissing the spot where her head hits his chest before he moves down to kiss her. 'Merry Christmas, Trav. I love you'.

'Love you too baby. So much. And you too baby girl!', he finishes, tickling Matilda's tummy.

Andrea interrupts them by calling out that breakfast is ready, and Travis walks into the kitchen with both of them in his arms. 'Hi everyone, Merry Christmas. This looks like an amazing spread, Andrea!'

Her family greet him, Scott getting up from his place at the table to give him a hug, Austin raising to do so also. They take their seats at the table, Travis easily pulling Matilda's high chair to sit beside him, thanking him under her breath for taking control.