Jaada said, "I started teaching at Lakewood after all that happened, so I don't know much. I just know that Brandi is a handful, and that Lily is much happier when she's with Lucas. Brandi sees Lily mostly as an accessory, and she's usually too busy chasing her next husband to pay much attention to her daughter. I think she's between husbands right now."

"What a mess. With Lily in my class, and a difficult ex in the picture, I'd be crazy to get involved with Lucas."

"Maybe, but love isn't usually an intellectual decision. Why don't you just keep an open mind? Most good things don't arrive in neat little packages."

"I don't need any surprises or complications in my life right now. Things are finally under control, which is exactly how I like it."

*****

Stepping into the coffee shop out of a brisk morning breeze, Aria took a moment to let her senses consume the feast around her. The dark, caramel smell of coffee and the pleasant buzz of relaxed, happy people wrapped around her. She would love to be one of those happy, relaxed people, enjoying a hazelnut latte and diving into a new mystery. But she wasn't. And the source of her stress was currently waving at her from a corner table.

She crossed the room to Lucas. "Good morning, Lucas," Aria said. She took stock of his faded Steelers T-shirt and worn jeans. And relaxed a bit. He wasn't dressed like he was on a date, and neither was she. She had thrown on a simple pink jersey over some leggings. Comfortable and definitely not date attire.

"Hi Aria, I'm glad you came. I was afraid you might change your mind."

"Oh really? Why is that?"

"You didn't seem very enthusiastic about the idea of getting together when I suggested it," Lucas said.

"After thinking it over, I realized it would be very efficient to meet outside of school and get some longer-term planning for the year done." Aria shrugged.

"Efficient." Lucas smiled. "Yes, it's important to use our time and resources well, as Ms. Rollins likes to remind us."

"Exactly. I'll just get some coffee and we can get started."

Lucas said, "What would you like? I can get it for you while you get settled."

Aria's breath hitched. "No. No, thank you, I mean. I always get my coffee for myself."

"Okay. Sure." Lucas gestured toward the counter. Aria turned and walked away. Lucas watched her. Aria's eyes had revealed that hidden depth which he rarely saw. He knew what he was seeing, because he recognized it. It was pain. She was good at hiding it, but as he got to know her better, he noticed those times when the raw emotion peeked through. Lucas hoped that Aria would trust him enough to tell him her story at some point. He found himself wanting to protect her and go back in time to erase whatever hurt her. At the very least, he would be careful not to offer to get her coffee again.

*****

"I think a big field trip right away would be a great way for the 6th grade and 1st grade buddies to get to know each other. We talked about the zoo. What do you think?" Lucas asked.

Aria pulled herself back to the conversation. She had been watching Lucas spin and tap his pen on his notebook. A simple action, but she found she liked watching his hands moving. Strong fingers, but with some delicacy, like a piano player's. What would it feel like to have those fingers running through her hair? She knew with certainty they would be gentle but firm.

"Sorry, what?" Aria started when she saw Lucas looking at her curiously.

"The zoo—a big field trip right away—Am I boring you, Aria?"