𝟐𝟎 | 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞 & 𝐣𝐚𝐜𝐤

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐯

Jack and I were currently sitting at a nice little restaurant near our hotel. Sometime tomorrow, we'd be on a plane heading back to Jersey and hopefully, Jack would soon be back on the ice playing. Despite the conversation Nicole and I had earlier, I was still nervous to have the "L" word conversation with Jack.

Once we'd ordered our food and the waitress walked away with our orders, looking up at Jack. He's looking out the window, watching a few street lights as they begin to come to life as the sky grows dark, sunsetting in the distance. Getting a quick read on Jack's face, I can see he was probably just as nervous as I was. Turning to face me, he sends a smile my way, placing his hand in mine and giving it a light squeeze, brushing my knuckles with his thumbs.

He takes a deep breath looking into my eyes before starting the conversation that's been pending for a day. "Lotte, I know you were probably really caught off guard when I said that I love you. You make me happy and with you, I don't feel like I need to put on a facade. You've never placed me on a high pedestal like everyone else has." Looking into his eyes and sending a smile, I see that he has more to say, and let him continue.

"It's probably too soon to say it, but I know what I feel, and I love you. I love the way your tongue pokes out from the side of your mouth when you're concentrating. I love the way you have your hair in a messy bun, with your blue light glasses and your oversized hoodies. I'm always amazed by how bright and sparkly your eyes get when you're doing what you love. You don't have to say that you love me back right now, or ever, but I just wanted you to know what I love about you." A small smile graces his features and it feels like he's almost let out a sigh of relief to let it out and lay it out there. Tears began prickling in my eyes, no one, not even my ex, had ever listed things that he loved about me.

"Don't cry, sweet girl. Talk to me." Jack's hands leave my own as his thumbs move to my cheeks, wiping away any tears that have managed to fall. I place my own hands on Jack's cheeks, "Jack I love you too." My voice is barely above a whisper, but it's clear that he hears me seeing as his eyes are now the ones to slightly tear up. "Jack I don't think there are any words to describe how special you are to me. Ever since I went to my first game there was just something about you that felt different, but in the best way. I love how you go out of your way to do things for me, like with all the flowers that randomly appear at my doorstep." We both laugh lightly, remembering the way I'd react through Facetime and phone calls about the unexpected deliveries.

"I also just really love how passionate and dedicated you are to hockey and your family. Can't forget about your willingness to do random video ideas with me, which reminds me, we have to film another one soon." We both lean in, our foreheads touching. "I love you!" We both seemingly say at the same time, smiling like two little love-sick puppies. Bridging the remaining gap between us, we share a delicate and sweet peck just as our food arrives.

As our food gets placed in front, Jack finalizes the conversation by saying, "Sweetie, I go out of my way to do things for you because I know you deserve it. You've been amazing to me since the day we met. You deserve the best, always!" Picking up my hand slightly, he kisses my knuckles before placing my hand back down on the table. The rest of our date was spent making small talk while eating and telling stories of our childhoods.

~~

After finishing our meal at the restaurant, Jack and I find ourselves walking back to our hotel hand and hand. A phone ringing stops us in our tracks, Jack takes his phone out of his pocket and picks it up. "Hey Quinn what's up?" There's a long moment of silence in the air as Jack listens in to what Quinn is saying. "Uh... I'll ask her and I'll let you know. Send me the address... Yeah, thanks Quinny. Bye." Hanging up and placing his phone in his pocket, Jack turns to me.