Everlasting Love Finds A Way

While James and Sirius desperately wish to meet their soulmates, Regulus and Remus are the complete opposite. See how these two unlikely pairs find each other through a chance encounter. AU: Muggle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a world where searching for your soulmate was the norm, Remus Lupin was adamant that he didn't want to meet his soulmate at all. Every time someone asked the reason for his negative attitude, he always said the same thing, "The concept of soulmates is impractical. Why does some higher being get to decide who I must end up with? I believe that soulmates are made—not found. The more you believe you have to work, learn and grow with your partner opposed to simply meeting someone who you perfectly click with, the longer and more successful your relationship will be... And besides, I'm sure whoever my soulmate is, they're probably out there pushing a pull door. I just know it."

He didn't know just how right he was.

"Keep pushing, Sirius," Regulus Black called out, hiding his smirk behind the tower of books in his arms. He grinned when his older brother grunted and continued to shove against the door of the bookshop. "It's bound to open soon."

"Damn it! I'm supposed to pull on this," Sirius whined, scowling at the door as he finally yanked it open. He stepped to the side and motioned for Regulus to enter the shop, the black marks on his fingertips in perfect contrast to his pale skin. "Anyway, I need to get to that tattoo shop I told you about. I'll pick you up in two hours. Be here, or I'll leave without you."

"Mother will kill you if you do that," Regulus said with a roll of his eyes as he walked into the store. "But fine—and don't get caught up with anything else!"

He watched Sirius run off towards his motorcycle and shook his head slowly. Regulus loved his brother, but sometimes, Sirius could be a complete idiot. Once, Sirius had forgotten to remove his keys from his motorcycle and had rushed—barefoot—to report it to the police in the middle of a snowstorm, his love for his 'precious baby' surpassing his common sense, or lack thereof. It hadn't been the first time the older Black had done something incredibly moronic; he couldn't even count the number of Sirius-related incidents.

Turning around, he tried to walk towards the counter, but the books in his arms swayed with every step he took and he grunted when one of them fell to the floor with a loud thud.

"Would you like some help with those?" A young man with brown hair stepped over to Regulus, who immediately nodded. The black soul mark on the side of his face was clearly visible to Regulus, and it reminded him of the mark on his own bottom. How he despised its significance!

"Yes, please," he blurted out in relief, allowing the man to help him.

The man chuckled as he plucked half of the books from Regulus' arms and began to walk towards the wooden tables.

The bookshelves towered over the chairs and were decorated with little fairy lights. The shop had welcoming corners for people to sit in comfortable armchairs and immerse themselves in fictional worlds full of romance, comedy, and drama. The large windows faced the busy street, allowing the warm sunlight to brighten the shop; Regulus knew that they were also the perfect spot to sit and watch the beautiful oranges, reds and yellows of the sunset.

"How did you manage to get the books here in the first place?" he asked conversationally, glancing at Regulus over his shoulder.

"My brother drove us here but left without actually helping me. He's an idiot." Regulus blew a strand off his eye and huffed. "I really appreciate your help. Thank you..."