CHAPTER EIGHTsong: maneater — daryl hall & john oates

CHAPTER EIGHT
song: maneater — daryl hall & john oates

THE COOL BREEZE hit Rachel's face as she sat down next to Josette in one of the lake docks, dangling their legs above the dark still water. Josette's presence felt light, like a ray of sunshine in the midst of a cold November morning. Even though they barley knew each other, Rachel swore that being by her side brought her the same comfort as being around her sister Grace.

As they talked calmly, the blonde thought about how different the Parker siblings were. Kai had that dark and mysterious aura around him that made rooms feel heavier when he walked in— which was the same thing that made Rachel curious. Josette, however, was the complete opposite; joyous, kind, trustworthy and calm.

"Did he bother you tonight?" Asked Josette, referring to her brother.

Rachel didn't want to say 'yes' so bluntly, so she decided to withhold the truth "We talked a little." She ended up saying "Why?"

"I figured he'd be with you— or close to you somehow. I believe he's been trying to become your friend."

Rachel cocked her head with surprise.

"My friend?" a big frown appeared on her forehead "What a weird way to make friends he has." She scoffed.

"I know." An embarrassed look spread across her face "He's not very good at it."

The way Josette said that, made Rachel feel bad for judging him so quick, even though he was a pain in the ass.

There was a momentarily silence that Rachel felt the need to break. "You're very different from each other."

"Everyone says that." Josette smiled faintly, shaking her head.

"Yeah 'cause you're like— super nice. And he's— let's just say he's not that nice."

"Yup... That's him." Josette chuckled before pressing her lips together.

"And you two get along?"

Josette frowned a bit, thinking about the answer to Rachel's question. She had never stopped herself to think about it before.

"When he doesn't hate me, yes." She replied hesitantly "I mean, I love my brother and I know he cares for me— in his own way. But it's just— it's complicated."

Rachel noticed how Josette never said that Kai loved her too, which made her feel sad for Jo. The way she talked about him showed how much she actually cared for him.