CHAPTER ONE song: we exist — arcade fire

CHAPTER ONE
song: we exist — arcade fire

ONLY THREE DAYS had passed when they found her best friend's body at the lake at the beginning of summer break. The news were all over the TV and the town's newspaper. "Mary Anne Sullivan, fatal car accident, dead at such a young age, send your prayers to her family..." and so on.

Coming back to school for one last year was something that made Rachel's head hurt just from thinking about it. She'd been able to avoid people and inquisitive questions during the holidays but no one could save her now. She was the last person to see Mary Anne alive that night, the night of the accident. So she was already preparing herself for the pitiful, curious and accusative looks when she made it to the entrance of Willowdale High School.

She walked slowly down the hall, books pressed to her chest and looking at the school's ugly grey floor. Rachel could feel the stares and she could hear the students whispering among themselves. Some said nice things, they could empathize with the quiet blonde girl that had lost a friend only three months ago. But not everyone thought she was innocent. Of course there were rumors that the accident wasn't so accidental after all.

"Hey, Rachel?" a short girl with big curls and dark skin approached her "How are you?" she asked softly.

Rachel looked at her. Her name was Leah, she used to be one of Rachel's and Mary Anne's friends. Not anymore since her and the cheerleaders group decided to disappear from her life right after her best friend's death. They never called to make sure Rachel was alright, they just went on with their lives as if nothing had happened. As if Mary Anne had never existed.

"I've been better." she answered with a loud sigh, not wanting to indulge in a conversation with her "Thanks for asking."

For the first time in months Leah had the dignity to ask her how she was feeling.

"Of course" The girl gave her a little smile "I wanted to give you my condolences. Sorry I haven't done it before... Mary Anne was an incredible friend."

"Yeah, she was." Rachel didn't really know what else to say to her, she felt awkward knowing Leah's intentions weren't pure and kindhearted. Rachel knew she just wanted to preserve her 'nice popular girl' reputation now that they were back at school.

But Rachel wasn't in the mood for all of that. She didn't want to be reminded that her best friend was dead every minute of the day, that type of conversation made her remember the moment her body was found floating in the lake. It made her remember the police interrogation, the cries and screams of Mary Anne's family and her own, the bloated and pale body laying at the morgue...

"Well, I just wanted to tell you that I'm throwing a party this weekend at my lake house" Leah pressed her lips together "You can come if you want to. And you can also bring your other... friend. Amy?"