Chapter Four

As Fyre’Paw padded though camp she heard Minty’Fang talking to Cloud’Jumper about having kits ‘New kits for the clan would be nice’ she thought as she passed by, Suddenly all the hairs on her spine began to prickle, she felt a cold hard stare burning into her back as she walked. She forced herself to keep walking and not look back, but she knew who was staring at her. Finally she arrived at the old Fox den that the clan had repurposed into a leaders den, she chirped a little to let Half’Star know she was there “Come in Fyre’Paw” Fyre’Paw stood there for a moment longer before pushing her way through the lichen and into the darker den, placing her paws delicately on the pebbly ground she saw the shape of Half’Star and Sand’Blaze as she approached.

“Thank you for bringing Sand’Blaze here, with nightfall they surely would have been found by a fox. As for tonight, Sand’Blaze has said they will accompany us to the gathering, where they will return to their clan” she Paused noticing the tired look in Fyre’Paw’s eyes “are you sure you can manage going to the gathering?”

Fyre’Paw seemed to know exactly what Half’Star was talking about, she nodded quickly “yes, of course!” she blinked the sleep away as Half’Star nodded “good, then we set off soon. Let Dove’Paw know. Fyre’Paw nodded “yes Half’Star” she dipped her head a little and began to leave the den.

By the time the moon had risen the clan had gathered and the cats chosen for the gathering departed, Fyre’Paw noticed that Rain’Stem and Minty’Fang were talking as they walked the older she-cat seemed to be teasing the young warrior about something and she wondered what it was. She felt a flank press up against hers, glancing over quickly she noticed Dove’Paw “i wonder how many cats will be at the gathering..” he whispered to her. She flicked an ear “probably a lot, especially if each clan is bringing this many cats”

“Quiet you two!” Moss’Foot had sped up to match their pace, before speeding up to walk next to Dappled’Wind. “What's got her fur in a twist?” Dove’Paw remarked, and Fyre’Paw snorted a small bit. The rest of the journey to the Tree stone, the three clans’ meeting place went smoothly. Fyre’Paw could smell cats, lots of cats slowly she dropped to the back of the group feeling a little overwhelmed by the smells. She took a few breaths before padding forward, suddenly feeling a pair of eyes on her, she turned quickly and saw those same forest green eyes. Without thinking she started to pad forward “Fyre’Paw! Are you coming?” she heard Dove’Paw call out for her, she turned and called back “yeah! Give me a moment!” before she heard a rustling, her ears swiveled and she turned back to the bushes “mousedung!” she flicked her tail irritably as the eyes had disappeared.

Fyre’Paw finally made it to the gathering, as she stepped into the clearing she spotted many cats, all their scents were mingled but she could still tell them apart…sort of. “Fyre’Paw” she heard a cat call her name, looking around she spotted Half’Star sitting with two other cats, a dark gray tom with a tail that looked kinked and backwards, and a large golden tom “Fyre’Paw, come up here please” she called gently to the young apprentice. Fyre’Paw looked up at the three cats sitting on top of the rock, she padded forward hesitating for a moment before she crouched down and sent herself flying upwards at the rock, it was much larger than she was and very high up. Her claws scrabbled at the stone as she made it halfway up with one leap as she felt herself sliding back down the cold surface she felt teeth meet her scruff and haul her up onto the rock. Shaking her fur slightly embarrassed that she needed to be helped “thanks” she murmured.

“Fyre’Paw, this is Twisted’Star the leader of PineClan, and Golden’Star the leader of ReedClan” Half’Star paused “and this is Fyre’Paw, my apprentice. I’m sure you both remember the gathering she was born at.” Half’Sta’s gaze flicked from Fyre’Paw to the two leaders.