Overprotective

Squish. Squish. Squish.

Drac listened as the soft texture of the marshmallows folded into the pointed edge of the spears he was lodging them in. The knights, despite their awareness, did not choose to question or comment on what their Count was doing. Dracula had a reason for almost everything, and usually whatever he did was fairly sensible when it came to the hotel's doings. So Drac continued along, making sure that every spear was covered. He had already placed rails on the dungeons below and guards on the toilet seats.

It was right at that moment, however, that Johnny had chosen to walk by, the redhead on his way to the kitchen when he noticed Drac and what he was doing.

"Oh hey, Drac!" he called out. Then he raised an eyebrow. "Are you and the knights gonna roast marshmallows?"

"Johnny!" Drac exclaimed, so focused on his task that he was startled upon hearing his voice.

"Oh, no no, we're not going to be roasting anything. I'm just working on something."

"Sure looks like something interesting," another voice joined in. Drac turned to see Ericka approaching, smiling kindly at him. Drac grew nervous.

"This looks like all the stuff Mavis put up when she was preparing for Dennis to be born." Suddenly Johnny's eyes widened, as if the realization just hit him. "Oh my gosh... is Mavis having another baby?!"

Ericka gasped, grinning widely. "Wow, really?" She looked to Drac for confirmation.

Drac gulped. "Eh, uh..." But before he could say another word, the ding of the elevator was heard and Mavis came out of the doors. Johnny immediately ran to her, scooping the woman into a tight hug.

"Ohhh, Mavy-Wavy!" he cried out, planting a big kiss on her cheek. "I can't believe you and I are going to be parents again!"

"Huh? Wha??" Mavis said, her face squished against his chest and her words coming out muffled. He pulled her back some so he could look her in the eyes. "Johnny, hon, what are you talking about?"

"Drac just told us the good news!" the redhead exclaimed. "You're having a baby!"

Mavis's eyes widened. "What?" She turned to face Drac with her hands on her hips. "Dad, why the heck did you tell Johnny that when it's not true?"

Johnny's grin fell. "Wh-what?"

Mavis looked at him, her expression softening at the sight of him saddening. "Oh, I'm sorry, sweetie. If I really was pregnant, you would be the first to know.''

"But then... why did Drac tell me that?"

"Yes, Dad, that's what I would like to know," Mavis said, crossing her arms.

Drac held up his hands. "Woah, woah, calm down, honeybat. First of all, I never mentioned that. Johnny misunderstood that I meant that because he saw me putting up all these things in the lobby." He gestured out, showing his daughter the marshmallow-stuffed spears. Mavis raised an eyebrow, recognizing it from Dennis's younger days.

"Oookayyy," Mavis said, rubbing her chin. "And what exactly are you putting those up for? Dennis doesn't exactly need the protection anymore."

"I know," Drac said. "It's for, eh, someone else to be safe."

"Winnie?" Mavis guessed. "She hardly needs the protection either. Neither do the wolf pups. If anything, they're the ones causing even more of a ruckus."

Drac shook his head. "No, no. Not them either."

Mavis narrowed her eyes. "Then, who?"

"Well, it's uh ..." He suddenly coughed, disguising the name within the sound.

Next to Mavis, Johnny cocked his head. "Who?"

"I said it's..." Drac coughed again, the name once more unable to be heard.

Finally, Ericka approached Drac's side. "Darn it, Drac, just tell us who!"

He whirled on her, grabbing her by the shoulders. "It's you, Ericka!"

"What?" She, Mavis, and Johnny exclaimed all at once.

Dracula nodded his head meekly. "Yes, my love. This is all for you. To keep you safe."

"Safe?" Ericka echoed. "Safe from what? You think I'm a baby, or something?"

"No, no, of course not, sweetfangs," he said. "It's just..." He heaved a heavy sigh. "I just don't want to risk you getting hurt."

Ericka was still confused. But then a realization came over her and her heart sank. She touched his hand gently. "Oh, Drac... is this about...?"

She didn't need to say who, as Drac already knew. He nodded.

Ericka felt a pang of hurt in her chest. Drac's extra measures were being put for the sake of not losing his zing - like he did with Martha.

Drac looked into Ericka's eyes. "Please don't take it the wrong way, love. Humans are so much more delicate than monsters sometimes. I just couldn't forgive myself if something happened to you."

"He could for me I guess," Johnny mumbled to Mavis. She elbowed him, and he rubbed his arm with a small "Oww."

Ericka nodded in understanding. "I get it Drac, but humans come in here all the time. Why haven't you done the same with them?"

"They're only guests," he said. "They'll be in and out in no time. But you... you live here. And, I can't stand the thought of any accidents happening." He was about to drop his gaze, but suddenly felt Ericka hug him around the middle, leaning her head against his chest.

"Oh, honey," she said. "I appreciate your concern... but I can take care of myself. I lived on a boat with great-grandfather my whole life. If I could survive that, don't you think I can survive living in a monster hotel?"

When Drac didn't answer right away, she pulled back enough to look him in the eyes again. "Sweetheart, I'll be fine. I believe I will. Mavis and Johnny believe I will..." They turned to look at them, and the two nodded their heads in agreement. Ericka turned back to Drac. "And I want you to believe it, too."

Drac looked a little reluctant to agree at first, but then he really let her words sink in. He hadn't actually witnessed it, but from what he heard, Ericka had braved the Kraken, poked the sea-beast in the eye and went on to save him from certain death. She lived on a ship where she practiced with a deadly monster-training course, and managed to tolerate Van Helsing and his whacked-out ideas. She was a strong woman, and he doubted that trait in her personality would ever change.

He let out a breath he was holding. "Okay, fine... but I can still keep the guard rails on in the dungeon?"

Ericka laughed. "No! You really think I'm just going to go wandering off the edge?"

Drac shrugged. "You could sleepwalk!"

Ericka shook her head. "No, I can't. I've always got a pair of arms around me keeping me tethered to the bed..."

Drac smiled at this. "Oh, yeah? Do they feel like this?" He snaked his arms around her waist and pressed her close to him.

Ericka offered him a seductive smile. "Mmm-hmmm..." They naturally leaned in to each other, Mavis turning her head away just in time before she saw their lips meet.

"UHH, okay, Johnny! It's time to go!" She grabbed her husband by the arm and began to dash out.

"Oh, but what about helping your dad remove all those marshmallows?" Johnny said.

"I'm sure Dad can do it later."

"Oh, you mean after he and Ericka are done ki - "

"YES, YES, Johnny, that's EXACTLY what I mean, okay, let's gooo!"

Johnny laughed as he followed his wife out of the lobby, leaving the lovestruck pair to themselves.