Focus

Focus. Focus. Focus.

Drac repeated it like a mantra in his head. It was absolutely critical not to lose his focus now. Not when she was counting on him to follow through. Not when she trusted him.

Ericka lay on their coffin bed, propped up by some pillows. Her slender neck was tilted to one side, some gauze and bandages in her shaking hands. He took notice of her trembling, and gave her a sympathetic look.

"We don't have to do this right now, honeybat," he said softly. "We could wait another hour, or a day. Or even a few weeks. I want you to be comfortable."

A hand went up to caress her cheek, and she let out a breath she had been holding. She closed her eyes, as if rearranging her thoughts, and gave him a determined look when she opened them again.

"It's okay, Drac," Ericka whispered softly. "I'm ready, believe me. I wouldn't have asked you to do it today if I wasn't." She reached a hand up to meet his at her cheek, giving it a reassuring touch.

Dracula gave a small nod, and then took her hand and gave it a kiss on the knuckles.

"Okay, love. But promise me that you will tell me if at any point you change your mind or want me to stop."

Ericka gave him a small smile. "I won't want you to, honeyfangs."

Drac gave her a stern look and squeezed her hand a little tighter. "Please, Ericka, promise me."

Ericka gave a sigh and relented. "All right, all right. I will." She leaned forward and gave him a kiss, slow and soft, and some of the anxiety that Drac had felt washed away. Drac felt a little sad, though. He kind of liked how warm her lips were, and knew that he wouldn't feel that very same warmness after the deed was completed.

Ericka pulled away from him and went back to tilting her neck. She gave a small nod. "Do it."

Drac gulped, still a little unnerved but returned the nod, moving in toward her. He wrapped an arm around her torso and ran the other up her back until his hand landed at the base of her neck from behind, holding her in place.

Focus. Focus. Focus.

He could feel her body tense, a shudder running down her spine as his cool breath blew out against her skin. He immediately gave her a look and she quickly spoke before he could say anything.

"It's fine," she said. "Go on."

Drac nodded and tilted his head down. His nose bumped against her pulse point and he breathed her in scent. She was floral and rich, a scent that made his mouth water delectably. His pupils began to slit, and the beginnings of a growl rumbled in his throat.

Focus. Focus. Focus.

He quickly corrected himself. This was not a time to lose control. What good would human blood do? He asked himself. It's fatty and gross, and extremely unhealthy. Drac curled his lips back, baring his elongated fangs and pressing gently into her neck. There was almost little to no resistance as he pressed down a little harder, and it happened - Ericka's skin broke.

Focus. Focus. Focus.

A rush of warm liquid gushed into Drac's mouth, his fangs sinking down into her neck all the way and almost causing him to gag. Not from repulsion at the taste, but rather at how unexpectedly good it was. Ericka's blood was rich and sweet, a tangy taste that clung fervently to Drac's tongue and filled his senses. Ericka had given a sharp cry at the feel of his fangs entering, but did not ask him to stop. And so, he drew.

Focus. Focus. Focus.

It was delicious. It was addicting. It tasted like perfection. It was so much more than Drac expected, and he drank deeply, continuing to draw in and in and in...

Focus. Focus. Focus.

A small whimper from Ericka snapped him from his task, and with horror he paused his ministrations. What was he doing? He had taken in more than a few withdrawals of her blood and had not even injected his venom yet! What was wrong with him?

FOCUS.

In an instant, he reoriented himself and injected, taking in only small amounts of her blood and injecting the venom into her system. In and out... in and out... until finally, he deemed it enough.

Dracula leaned his wife back and at the same time withdrew himself from her neck, the fangs sliding out of her in a slow and steady motion. Once he removed them completely, she slumped back onto the bed. Drac looked her over for signs of discomfort or distress but found none; instead, Ericka was looking up at him, a small smile on her face.

"Thank you," she said softly. She shifted a little, but then cringed.

"Careful now," he warned. Taking the gauze from her hands, he carefully began to clean the holes that his fangs had left behind on her neck, still dripping some with some fresh blood. She flinched once or twice, but didn't complain as he placed a bandage on and pressed his lips against it in a short kiss.

"There you go. Much better," he said.

"Indeed," Ericka replied. She gave a small giggle in spite of herself and then looked at him. "So, how long does it usually take?"

The Count shrugged. "Not sure. I haven't converted anyone, like, ever. "

Ericka raised an eyebrow. "You've lived for over 500 years and haven't transformed a single human into a vampire?"

Drac scoffed and splayed his hands out. "There was no reason to!"

She gave a little laugh at his outburst and then stopped suddenly, feeling a strange aching within her mouth. Suddenly, and without warning, two sharp fangs burst right out of her canines!

"W-whoa!" she stammered, going to feel the little points with her index finger. Her eyes widened in amazement and she looked up at him. "I... I'm a vampire!" she said incredulously. Ericka sat up and grabbed his shoulders eagerly. "Can I go try out my powers now? Please, please, please, pleeeease ?"

Dracula chuckled and gently removed her hands. "Eventually," he said. "But right now, I think you should focus on getting some rest."

"Rest?" she replied. "But I'm not tiiiiiiireeedd... " Her last word had broken off into a long yawn that perfectly showed off her new set of incisors. The Count smiled fondly as he helped lay her down. Ericka easily snuggled down and shut her eyes, his lips kissing her forehead softly in a loving peck.

"Good night, my sweet blood orange."

Tomorrow would be the first day in a brand new life.