"Well you're awfully quiet." Achim attempted to break the silence with a snide observation. "That's not like you. I'm used to you being a thorn in my side."

"Why did you kill those people, Achim?" Her question was like a hammer.

"What?" Achim's eyes were wide, his heart stuttering.

"You heard me. Why did you kill all of those people yesterday?"

The boy's jaw was left limp. He fumbled on his reply. "Because..."

"Because is not a reason," said Naomi. "Because of what?"

"B-because, Naomi." The boy bit his tongue and found some resolve in the process. His shocked expression harshened. "Because I had to," he said.

"Is that really it?" Naomi spoke as if she did not believe him. As if she did not trust him. At that, Achim shuffled.

"That's really it," he said with a low snarl. Achim turned away from Naomi after giving his answer so he could not see as she attempted to accept his answer. Naomi did her best to extend her acceptance and stretch her tolerance beyond its bounds. She tried and tried until her face wrinkled with strife, but she failed and her judgment sprung back. Naomi snapped.

"No, Achim! I need a better answer than that!" Naomi demanded it.

"Why?" His question was laced with contempt.

"Because, Achim," Naomi responded..

Achim knew what was coming. He knew what Naomi was getting at, but her refusal to say it outright angered him. "To quote an idiot girl, because is not reason, Naomi. Because of what? What do you want from me?"

He watched her press her lips with eyes trembling. "Because," Naomi whimpered. "Well—Because I don't like it. There! I said it! I don't like your answer, Achim!"

Achim's brow bent like the sharpest end of an axe. His very glare might have cleaved the girl in two. "There's nothing for you to like, Naomi," Achim responded. " Do you really think I need your approval? Do you think I want it?!"

Again, he saw Naomi shudder. For a moment, the girl could scarcely look at him - another first. "I don't know, Achim." Naomi replied with a faint, almost meek and unsure demeanor. Her big personality shrank right before his eyes. "I guess you don't. I guess you never did."

"You're right," Achim stated. "I don't need anything from you, so drop it."

His declaration, whether true or not, was meant to build a barrier while Naomi was disheartened. He hoped to deter her, but Naomi's low state did not stick. Almost as if she was incapable of staying down, her tone rose alongside her willful spirit. "Achim. I can't," she said. "I can't just drop it. Please, Achim. I just want to know. I need to know. I need you to tell me."

"I said leave it alone, Naomi," Achim growled.

"No," Naomi barked. No longer on the back foot, she brought herself before the moon-eyed boy and demanded to be seen. Naomi was mere inches from his face when she tallied his telling actions. "You came back to me, Achim. You came to my house. You waited on my roof! I found you up there because you care about me and what I think! I know you do!"

She proved formidable, and absolutely correct, but Achim was not going to admit that now. He could not afford to, not when his twisted expression already said so much. "Oh please," Achim scoffed. "You found me up there because I'm injured. I couldn't hide and I definitely can't leave like this. I did not show up because I care," said Achim.

He turned his back and lowered his eyes. The dark boy struggled to seal his feelings, but, in the throes of confrontation, he denied them outright. At least to a point. "Look, Naomi, even if I do care about you, it's only as a babysitter. I've been just that all weekend. Your babysitter! So I feel responsible for you. That's all!"