Midterm and its Aftermath

Depuis le début

"Forgive me, Senpai, but I have something urgent that needs the student council president's consultation." Almost pleading, I made my intention of meeting the elder Horikita clear right away from the start.

"The president isn't here yet, but you can wait inside if you'd like to."

Saying those words, she opened the door to the student coucil room and gestured for me to come in. Sheepishly, I walked inside and sat down on a nearby seat. However, she left me there all alone and went into one of the rooms inside, presumably the president's room.

It suddenly occurred to me that I needed to get one of those wireless earphones. At times like this, where I have virtually nothing to do, listening to music would be a great way to kill time.

After some time, the entrance door was once again opened, this time by the man I had originally planned on meeting. The moment he noticed me, his eyebrows raised.

"Good evening. Are you free to have small talks?"

"If you have nothing important to say, I suggest you leave now. I have no time to waste having small talks."

Though I had simply wanted to break the ice, he immediately rejected the idea and basically told me to kindly fuck off.

"Well, then what if I have something to consult with you?"

I gave an obvious lie, but I was sure he understood the implication behind my words.

"If so, then let's talk inside my room."

I stood up and trailed behind him. I must say, the student council sure lived a luxurious life. The interior of this room appeared to be rather expensive. Then again, such luxuries are justified by the members' excellence.

Taking a seat inside, Tachibana-senpai, who had gone inside earlier, brought some tea for me. Apparently, she had brewed it while I was waiting outside.

"So, what is it that you wanted to talk about, Ayanokouji?"

"You knew this boy, president?"

Tachibana-senpai seemed surprised by the idea of the two of us being acquainted with each other. After all, she followed him around all the time, yet today was the first time we met.

"We met each other a few days ago. You weren't there at the time." His sentences were short and curt, just like those of his sister. They somewhat resemble each other perfectly, but then again, it was most likely due to Horikita copying his every move.

"I see. No wonder I had no recollection of this boy." She seemed satisfied with his short answer.

They both then turned their heads to face me, motioning for me to speak about what I had in mind.

"I'm going to be frank, Senpai, do you still have your first semester's midterm test?" I decided to get straight to the point.

"Why do you ask?" He lowered his gaze on me.

"I'd like to have it."

"Are you implying that you are planning on cheating in your upcoming test?"

"Is it cheating, though? It was never stated in the rule book that we freshman can't ask our seniors for their test papers, right?"

To my words, he simply narrowed his gaze and hunched his back forward, leaning closer to me.

"I see. That's true, but even so, what makes you think I would hand them over to you?"

No counter-argument? I thought he would have presented a couple of rebuttals to my statement, yet he just agreed to everything I had said thus far. The conversation was going way too smoothly for my liking.