chapter 20 - 1954

ELVIS PRESLEY

I finished packing my last shirt in the luggage as I heard someone knocking on my door. It wasn't Cece, since she never bothered to knock and it couldn't have been my mama as she was at work.

"Come in!", I yelled, vaguely expecting grandma Dodger to come in and scold me for my guitar playing. I caught glimpse of strands of brunette hair before the person walked in. I zipped up my luggage and turned around.

"'Dora, hey.", I smiled and straightened up.

"Hi, darling.", she smiled sweetly and shut the door. "You done packing up?"

I patted my suitcase with a proud smile. "All packed up. Could even fit my own clothes.", I joked, making a small smile appear.

"Cece is known for packing things she won't be needing, darling. Should've given you a heads up.", Pandora laughed a little and sighed, looking down.

"Nah, it's fine. If Scotty and Bill can share a suitcase, so can we.", I said in a light tone and sat on the chair by my desk. I sensed that Pandora had something to tell me and that our little jokes were a warmup for what was about to come. "Is everything okay 'Dora?", I decided to ask.

She looked up with eyes filled up with tears. "I-I know that in all these years where we've known each other- that I seem clingy and- and overbearing a-and I'm sorry-", I shook my head a little and stood up as confusion was written all over my face.

"No, 'Dora, not at all.", I said in a small tone, noticing the rawness in her words. I gently pulled her into a hug with my hand going up and down her back in comfort.

"Cece is my baby, Elvis a-and-", I didn't understand the reason of her tears, but I patted her back, giving nods in understanding. "I-I know her voice needs to be heard- Both of your voices, darling, need to be amplified in theaters, arenas-"

"Woah, slow down 'Dora.", I laughed a little, though she didn't return the gesture - she was serious. "Cece and I ain't gonna get there that fast.", I said softly, taking her hand leading her to my bed, so that she could collect herself. I pushed my suitcase off the bed and sat beside her. The energy she exuded reminded me of my mama's - her mama bear instinct and her ability to love unconditionally being the top similarities. Yet they were so different at the same time.

"I-I know I'm being paranoid, but-", she sighed and wiped a tear away. "I don't wanna a re-do of what happened when you were little...", Pandora trailed off as she fiddled with a ring around her finger.

My brows furrowed in confusion. "You mean... When her daddy took her away?'Dora...", I grasped her hand in mine and gave it a squeeze. "Nobody is gonna take Cece away I-I promise- be it the last thing that I do.", I searched for her eyes in order for her to see the honesty in them.

"I'll bring her back in one piece on Sunday. It's a promise.", I gave her hand another squeeze. I sincerely hoped she believed me, because if Pandora worried then my mama would too. "What happened all those years ago was something none of us had no control over, 'Dora.", I reassured her. "I hope that one day you'll stop blaming yourself.", I murmured.

Silence engulfed us, but it was in no way uncomfortable.

"Cece is a big girl, but-", Pandora hesitated. "Promise me you're gonna look after her? Just- Just be her listening ear or-", I pulled her into a tight hug.

Before I could process her words, the door opened.

"Ops- Sorry.", I smiled into the hug, recognizing the awkward tone of the all too familiar girl. Pandora pulled away and winked, as if she knew something I didn't.