chapter 10 - 1951

ELVIS PRESLEY

My shaky fingers strummed the guitar as my legs moved to the beat and the roar of the crowd. I felt a lot of things — things I didn't know my body could do in such an excessive way. My heart was racing faster than any competition horse, my hips moved like hypnotized and my wet hair was sticky against my skin.

My eyes wandered around, absolutely mesmerized at the excitement of tonight's crowd and at that point I didn't know which was louder — the desperate cries for attention or my beating heart. My worn out shoes were tapping against the stage as my eyes wandered around, still feeling amazed by such a wild crowd. Women were crying with mascara running down their cheeks as they were screaming for attention. Men weren't too different as they were whistling and screaming as well — with a little bit of hesitation, however as the minutes passed by they took their actions further, feeling more confident.

They were screaming someone's name — I couldn't tell. All their voices mashed up in unison, making it impossible to understand a word. But maybe it was meant in that way. Maybe I was undeserving of anyone's praise and encouraging words, so that's why I couldn't make out my name from the crowd. I've never seen anyone being so excited for any kind of show — let alone mine. And it made me wonder what these people saw in me. What did they think as they purchased their ticket and drove their car here?

Because I was nothing.

I was utterly nothing in my pink suit compared to the beauty of the woman standing on the front of the stage.

Her back was turned to me, giving me the view of her in a pink suit, matching my own. Her own shoes tapping at the beat of our music and her fingers never missing a guitar string. Long, brown hair cascaded down her back in endless waves, making me wonder what it would feel like to run a hand through it. But I needed more. I needed to make sure it wasn't a dream and that it was reality. So I took a step forward, but the music seemed to get louder and the crowd less tame. The woman's leg twitched at the music as her body moved just like mine, making the sight in front of me even more unbelievable.

Who was she?

I turned around for a split second, looking at the man behind the drums and my other friend playing the third guitar. Those men were my best companions. I could clearly make out their features — it had to be real. I moved closer to them, still strumming my guitar, and spoke up.

"Who is she?", I said loudly as the crowd seemed to get even louder.

James laughed at my word. "What do you mean who is she?"

I grew annoyed at his attitude. "Just answer my damn question.", he rolled his eyes at my words and opened his mouth to speak up.

"It's—"

His lips moved but no words came out. I looked at him and then glanced back at the woman.

"What did you say?"

Instead of an answer, the drums got louder and the crowd started to get violent. People were pushing each other as they started shouting nonsense.

"Hey, hey, easy there. Easy. There's a spot for everyone, yes?", the music stopped gradually. James smiled at me knowingly and nodded towards her. My fingers abandoned the guitar strings as my feet automatically carried me to her spot. My eyes lingered on the people in the crowd — a couple got arrested by the police, but others were intently watching her every move — thirsty for any word she might have to say.

"Today is our tenth show a-and we can't thank you enough for the support you've shown us.", the melodic voice said. I found myself having the same reaction as the people in the crowd. I was hanging onto her every word.

"Since you've been so kind to us tonight... Let me introduce you to the band, yeah?", and the cheers certainly didn't disappoint.

"We've got James on the third guitar tonight— You can tell he feels pretty special. Don't you, Jimmy?", the crowd laughed at her words. Her hand pointing at the guitarist, who tugged at the guitar strings with a small bow.

"Next, we have Charlie on the drums. Give it up for Charlie, everyone!", more applause followed, but my amazement never ceased. How could someone hold so much power over a crowd of people?

"And finally— Oh, don't be shy, c'mere.", she waved her hand and my heart skipped a beat. She was moving it at me.

"And finally, ladies and gentlemen, a man who needs no introduction...", I inched closer until I felt her warm hand grasp mine. "Elvis Presley!"

A smile played on my lips as my heart kept thumping when the cheers got louder and louder. They were chanting my name. My name. My eyes locked with a girl's, making me wink at her as I blew her a kiss. She squealed and grasped her friend's arm, shaking it violently as if making sure she had seen the small exchange between us.

But there was one pair of eyes I needed to look at.

"Won't you introduce me, E?", and there was her sweet voice again. I felt my hand burn in hers, not believing any of this was real. Because how could it be? I gathered all my courage and slowly moved my gaze from the crowd, ready to finally meet her eyes.

The artificial lights blinded me all of a sudden and I couldn't see. I squinted, trying to get a better look, but in vain, the lights seemed stronger.

"Cece? Is that you?", I tried calling, but my throat felt all closed up. The lights were blinding me and sudden pressure was overwhelming me, making it hard to breathe.

And then I woke up.

_____________

uuu how we feeling so far? thank you for reading! hope you're enjoying the story so far! comment and vote xx