chapter 16 - 1954

CECE MARTIN

I had no idea if it was the disappointment or the resentment I felt for Elvis and his actions, but I sang the hell out of that song. The final version of That's Alright Mama hit the number one spot in the charts all over the state.

Elvis' friends Scotty Moore and Bill Black joined us for guitar and bass — it took me a while to get adjusted to them, but they were nothing but helpful. And they were fun to be around. The radio definitely appreciated two voices and an additional instrument.

Blue Moon of Kentucky followed up and all we kept hearing was Cece and Elvis and Elvis and Cece. We still hadn't agreed on a name, mostly because we weren't sure how long all of this was going to last. It could've been over by a flash.

"Cecelia!", a voice sang, making me sigh. I didn't like my full name. Elvis' infamous tree had now become the spot where all of us met. Though I had a feeling that Elvis wasn't too happy about sharing his secret space with everyone else. I looked up from the guitar and saw Scotty approaching me with a giddy smile.

"Hey Scotty.", I smiled a little. "Elvis ain't with you?", he took off his jacket and threw it on the grass, sitting on it.

"Nah, wanted to tell ya the news first.", he huffed and then patted on the jacket. "You can sit here you know."

I waved him off. "I'm fine here. What news?"

He turned to look at me and then moved his gaze on my guitar. "New song?"

"Scotty!"

"Alrighty. Geez, well, I may or may not have booked us a gig at the—"

I squealed in excitement and tossed the guitar aside, jumping on Scotty. He laughed as he caught me in his arms.

"I would've said something sooner if I knew you would've jumped on me.", he joked, making me chuckle.

"What are we looking at here?", we heard a whistle, forcing me to slip out of his embrace.

"Shut the hell up, Bill.", Elvis hissed at our bass player. I don't think I had ever seen them move as fast as today.

"Gentlemen.", Scotty greeted them jokingly.

"That's the face of someone who's getting it.", Bill pointed his finger at him.

"I dare you to continue.", I said before Elvis could speak. Bill raised his hands in the air, pretending to be innocent.

"Okay, okay.", he gave up and lied down on the grass, taking his hat and covering his face with it. "This guy made me run miles for nothing.", he pointed a finger at Elvis.

"You can't keep up because you're old.", commented Elvis and moved to sit beside me.

"I ain't old."

"Yes you are."

"I swear to—"

"Alright, boys. Scotty has got some great news.", I decided to say before they actually stood up and started killing each other.

Scotty wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "We have great news.", he corrected me. I rolled my eyes, fully aware that he was doing this just to annoy Elvis.

"We've got a gig. It's a small club— and I know, I know it ain't much, but it could be the start of something big.", as he announced it to the guys I started smiling again. We had a chance. A small one, but that was all we needed to get the snowball rolling.

"Hell yeah man.", Bill sat up and patted Scotty on the back. "How'd you do that?", they lost themselves in an endless conversation, which continued with pats on the back.