chapter 19 - 1954

CECE MARTIN

PART 2

"Two popcorns and a Pepsi.", Elvis' order made me snap back to reality. "You want something to drink, Cece?", it wasn't honey anymore. I shook my head, keeping my gaze down, suddenly feeling very ashamed and disgusted at my actions. What was I thinking? Leading Scotty on and acting all lovey-dovey with Elvis? Of course he was going to look for love in the arms of someone else.

I felt like throwing up.

I grasped the small bag of popcorn and took notice that Elvis was gone. I sighed and looked behind me, finding him talking to Scotty and Jane. Jane was rolling her eyes as she said something back. I started walking towards them, preparing myself to be scarred for the rest of my life.

"No way you're here with her.", I heard Jane say, making me keep my gaze down on my shoes. I knew that she couldn't think too far ahead, though it seemed like her words were meant to minimize my persona.

"Hi.", I said once I reached them. Scotty's eyes moved on me, but mine were persistent to stay on the very interesting popcorn bag.

"Cecilia, can we talk?", I briefly looked up and caught glimpse of Jane rolling her eyes. I nodded and ignored Elvis, who started cursing at Scotty. We didn't walk too far away from them as the movie was going to start any minute.

"Listen, I'm sorry you had to find out like this.", I looked him in the eye and could tell that he wasn't lying. He felt guilty, but didn't regret what led him to her.

"As long as you keep it civil in the band.", I simply said and started walking away. He grasped my arm, pulling me back.

"Are you gonna date him, now?", I desperately tried to avoid eye contact, but his fingers gently moved my chin up.

"He's never been mine, Scotty.", I said softly, feeling tears burning in my eyes. "He's always gonna belong to someone else.", I continued and immediately regretted it.

"You're so confusing, you know that right?", he said, making me look up confusingly. "You're all he talks about. During practice, at work, on the way home.", he continued. "I don't know what kind of fucked up history there is between Jane and him, but you need to make yourself seen, Cece. You deserve that much.", Scotty brushed one of my tears away and sighed.

"Let's head back."

Scotty never gave me butterflies, but his words always made me think.

"Where's EP?", I heard Scotty ask, making me look up. I prayed he hadn't left me alone.

"Said he needed to find his seat.", Jane replied and locked her arm with Scotty's. I sighed in relief and pulled out my ticket from my purse. Most seats were filled up and it didn't take me long to find Elvis. Much to his dismay, the happy couple was sat two rows in front of us.

I found my seat and wordlessly sat beside Elvis. I couldn't wait for the movie to start and take my mind off the past ten minutes.

"Cece, look, I-I am sorry I lost my temper. It wasn't what it looked like.", but I just shook my head, not wanting to hear his poor excuses.

"You're taking me home after the movie.", I simply said, keeping my gaze on the screen. I heard him sigh in defeat and that was when the movie had finally started.

It was uncomfortable to say the least. All I seemed to notice was happy couples leaning on each other and sharing occasional kisses. The movie never seemed to end, yet three hours later I stood up from my seat as I tried to recall the plot of the story. I was disappointed that the tickets had pretty much gone to waste.