chapter 14 - 1953

ELVIS PRESLEY

"Tell me I'm dreaming lil' mama."

And if that had been a dream, it would've been the best dream I had ever had.

Seven years later here we were. My hands gripping at her vest and my face in the crook of her neck, like I was afraid she was gonna leave me again. I didn't care that it was too forward or too soon to be that close to somebody you hadn't seen in a while.

But it felt like she never even left.

"Oh, Cece— I-I can't believe it—", I couldn't get enough of her. I pulled away for an instant, wanting to look into the eyes I hadn't seen in seven years. Those brown eyes full of emotion were now full of salty tears. Her hands gripped at my jacket, pulling me closer.

My brain wasn't processing anything in the moment. The next two minutes of words made no sense, since all I had left were ugly tears. Cece simply cried as she let me hold her — she gave me simple nods as her eyes forcefully shut at the probably overwhelming feeling.

She didn't hate me.

She didn't hate me. But we still had so much to catch up on. I couldn't wait to get to know the beautiful lady she turned into.

"Oh, E, I-I can't—", her body shook with sobs, making me pull her even closer. I had no time to focus on the little nickname she had given me all those years ago, because I knew that as much as I had missed her, there were others who were excited for her arrival.

My hands found their way through her long locks, brushing some of them away. "Shh, it's alright, honey."

"Cece— Oh my. You must be Elvis?", I looked to my right and noticed a blonde woman with suitcases by her feet. I brushed my tears away and untangled from Cece's embrace, extending my hand to the lady.

"Elvis Presley, ma'am.", she smiled at me and then moved her gaze on the girl in my arms.

"I had a feeling.", she commented in a knowing tone. "I'm Naomi Vance-Martin. Cecilia's step-mother.", she shook my hand and smiled once again. Cece officially untangled from my hold and cleared her throat.

"Sorry.", she said quietly and brushed the remaining tears away with her thumb. I moved towards Naomi and bent down to pick up the two suitcases. I nodded to the building in front of us.

"I think there's someone who can't wait to meet ya.", I smiled at her, earning a small, shy grin from her.

Was she intimidated by me?

My Cece Flora intimidated by a fella like me?

"I'll lead the way.", I started walking and peaked over my left shoulder, making sure they were both following.

"Ah, Elvis, I've been meaning to ask you something.", Naomi sped up her pace, her heels clicking loudly with her every step.

"Yes ma'am?", she laughed a little and waved me off.

"It's just Naomi, honey. There is no need for you to call me ma'am.", she replied. I looked over quickly and noticed Cece walking with her gaze down. "Either way. I was wondering what your father got promoted for. Since, I'd say, this was a big move for the family."

"Yeah, my daddy—"

"Hey EP! You ain't cheating on Jane with this new chick, ain't ya?", one of the usual guys yelled out. One of his friends laughed and nudged him with the elbow.

"Mind your own goddamn business.", I called out and sped up a little. I felt my blood boil as I heard them laugh behind my back. I set the suitcases by the front door and opened it.