chapter 11 - 1952

ELVIS PRESLEY

This was my third year in Memphis and all I could think of was the one more year of high school I had to suffer through. That was the only thought that kept me going. The vision of me graduating and making my mama proud. The only thought that motivated me to not drop out.

I wasn't a bad student, it was just difficult to adapt. The kids back in Tupelo never judged me as I played the guitar — they didn't admire me either, but they accepted me. I could play my guitar and whistle my favorite tunes during recess and nobody could say I wasn't allowed do it. I was safe there — in my own way.

I couldn't say the same about the Humes High School, though. It wasn't all too easy to fit in, considering I wasn't the most confident guy around. Kids ignored me for a couple of months and then eventually started acknowledging me. All them kids knew each other from before, so it was obvious that nobody was gonna want anything to do with me.

But that was alright, because I had that one vision in my head.

I wanted to get a job to make sure my family never had to struggle again.

I wasn't all alone, though. I often found myself at the parks at Lauderdale Courts — usually for a little bit of guitar playing, since Dodger always complained about the noise in the house. One afternoon I met a trio of guys: Farley Guy, Paul Dougher, and Buzzy Forbess. They came up to me, saying they hadn't seen me around and after I introduced myself, we became friends. That summer we went to the movies, swam, played football, wandered downtown, and even earned money mowing yards with a push mower purchased by my daddy.

They knew about my interest in music and they were supportive. We didn't share the same dream, but we did want to get our families out of their debts.

The little apartment we stayed in seemed even smaller at night, as we had to squeeze in five people in total; our newest additions being Pandora and Grandma Dodger, whose sassy remarks always made my day. Daddy got that promotion in '49 and mama found a job at a hospital as a nurse's aid. Pandora was the one who struggled the most.

It was heartbreaking to witness — the close bond she had with her daughter was gone and it showed on her through puffy eyes, tired face and low mood. As the months passed, she grew accustomed to Memphis and the positive changes were visible on her. The change of scenery did her good. She would never be the same again, but the glow on her face whenever she came home from work was priceless. Or the way I would come home early and I'd catch my mama and 'Dora drink their usual coffees with the biggest smiles on their faces. Anyone and anything that made my mama happy, made me happy.

Today was one of those days. I got off earlier than usual and was on my way home. There was that weird smell pre-rain that lingered in the air that I hated so much. Because it meant mud and dirt. And my mama scolding me for bringing dirt in the house. I could hear my boots squeak with every step I took. I huffed in annoyance.

However, as soon as I walked inside I already knew something had shifted. The silence was unusual and the lights weren't on.

"Mama?", I called and received no response. I took off my boots and set them aside, walking in properly. "'Dora?", I called and got nothing. Though as I reached the kitchen table I stopped in my tracks. Pandora's back was turned to me as her body shook with, what I assumed were, sobs.

"'Dora?", I carefully called again. I extended my hand and placed it on her right shoulder, trying to give her some comfort. Though as I moved closer, my eyes caught sight of papers on the table. Letters. More letters. Four stack of unopened letters at far right of the circular table.